BCS Temp Probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaPrerunner

Reaction score
Just got my BCS Temp Probes from Brewers Hardware. I had been using an older temp probe from an unknown origin for my fermentation chamber. The temp readings where not very stable. When I did the calculations for the Steinhart–Hart coefficients it turned out that the probe was PTC instead of NTC. Now that I got the Brewers Hardware probes hooked up and the coefficients adjusted the temp readings are rock solid. I have got to say that the workmanship and quality of the Probes is second to none. Also, the BCS has been the best upgrade to my fermentation to date.

I just received their RIMS setup and I will be using the BCS controller. I am trying to understand thermowells and how to deal with the sizing as well as the connection between the probe and the controller. I've gotten 90% of my hardware from Brewers Hardware and I agree, the worksmanship is excellent.

The temp probes are easy to hook up. There will be (in my case) a black wire, white wire, foil shield and bare wire once you strip off the insulation. The foil shield and bare wire are not needed and can be trimmed back, or see the note in the instructions. The BCS measures the resistance between the white and black wire. It does not matter which way they are hooked up. Place one wire in the TEMP0, TEMP1, TEMP2 or TEMP3 location and the other wire in the most convenient GND location. You can use the coefficients provided with the probes or calibrate them yourself. The BCS forum has a good thread on that.

Save yourself future trouble while you are assembling these and tie the bare wire to system ground, especially if you are using it near an electric motor... you will have much more stable temperature readings. Before I did this I would get +/- 7F temp swings while the compressor in my freezer was running. I had also noticed noise in temp readings while my pumps were running as well. Since redoing all of my temp probes and setting the bare wire to ground I have had no further issues.

Back