Dry Hopping pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found one issue with dry hopping is that it doesnt impart too much flavour when I do it and you have to leave it to set for some time.

Saint

I found one issue with dry hopping is that it doesnt impart too much flavour when I do it and you have to leave it to set for some time.

Saint

dry hopping isn't for flavor or bitterness, it's mainly done to get good aroma. I've never had to go longer than a week and in fact, it's suggested NOT to go longer than that for fear of turning grassy.

I dry hopped for my first time and got great results! It smelled amazing and the body and test of the beer was awesome! I think I'm going to start dry hopping a lot more of my Pale Ales and IPA's!

dry hopping isn't for flavor or bitterness, it's mainly done to get good aroma. I've never had to go longer than a week and in fact, it's suggested NOT to go longer than that for fear of turning grassy.

The funny thing about dryhopping is that there are very little to no rules or guaranteed outcomes.

You may get both flavor and aroma or only aroma, you may dryhop for 3 days or 3 weeks, and you may get a citrusy/fruity character or percieve grassy/vegetal qualities. It all depends on the process and brewer perception.

A few pics of my dry hopping process, for anyone who's interested :mug:

http://www.garagecollective.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/dry-hopping-brew-4-apa.html

Just a word of advice for the next time: if you're going to dry hop I'd wait longer than 4 days into fermentation. The yeast are likely still active, albiet sluggish, at this point, and they can and will consume of the hop compounds from your dry hop addition. I'd wait a minimum of 7 days just to be safe. YMMV

I agree with coy, even though most scientific data I've seen over the years has suggested primary fermentation is typically finished in 3-5 days on average. I usually further condition my beer and subsequently dryhop in the primary, so I always wait much longer than this to begin my dryhop (around day 14-21) and then bottle on day 31-34.

In my experience,only initial fermantation is done in the first few days. It then slowly,uneventfully ferments down to Fg ofer 2 or 3 weeks. I let it settle out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping one week.

Some people says that it is better to dry hop when the fermentation is near to the end, other suggest to put the hops when it slow down... In my expirience it's more important the amount of hop you use and the number of days... I usually dry hop for 5-7 days before bottoling

Thanks for the advice everyone. Because I've only dry hopped twice (each time with a hop tea as well) I can't say whether it just adds aroma, or both aroma and flavour. It certainly smells and tastes good!

I wonder now if 10 days was too long, so now I've got some time frames to play with. Thanks!

I just dry hopped my very first brew. I went about it a little differently. Three weeks in the primary, cold crashed for 4 days, racked into keg, and added hops for 7 days at room temp. Cascade Pale Ale, hope it turns out good, I've got some buddies lined up to taste test!

Just a word of advice for the next time: if you're going to dry hop I'd wait longer than 4 days into fermentation. The yeast are likely still active, albiet sluggish, at this point, and they can and will consume of the hop compounds from your dry hop addition. I'd wait a minimum of 7 days just to be safe. YMMV

Even this has been contested, the consumption of hop compounds thing is more of a hop compounds binding to the yeast and dropping out when the yeast floccs out. Firestone walkers Union Jack and most of their other beers are dry hopped at the tail end of fermentation (usually with in .5 Plato or so if I remember right) which apparently helps to scrub off o2 from the hops, and as their head brewer stated --yeast in the presence of hop oils do some interesting things (not a quote as I can't remember it word for word).

I think the idea is to try different things. I really like splitting up my dry hopping-- an ounce or 2 at the tail end of fermentation, and then another ounce or 2 in the keg for really hoppy beers.

Back