Need suggestions for next brew. I have the following:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I have a dry irish stout, an APA and a Belgium planned/brewed already, but come Sunday I will be putting my 4th and final for a few weeks into a fermenter. Not sure what to make. Here are the ingredients I have on hand:

Plenty of pale malt
5lb honey malt
1.5lb roasted barley
2.5lb chocolate malt
2.2lb carared
2.2lb crystal 120
3lb caravienna
4lb caramunich
1/2lb dark candi sugar
3lb special b
4lb carapils
5lb crystal 40

7oz kent goldings
3oz styrian
15oz cascade
2.75oz brewers gold

Safale 04
WLP001 california
WLP004 irish ale

Can get my hands on a few other common WLP or dry yeasts from the LHBS and maybe an ounce or two of other hops. Don't want to spend too much though, want to use what's in stock.

Yup that looks good, Mash it...Boil It....& Pitch on it:D

Kidding....

I would take some of that 2 row, with the Carared, a good dose of the honey malt, pound or two of carapils and a c*nt hair of the 120 (for color only), mash it kinda high for a bit of body (158 or so) add a mellow hop schedule, a little KG for bittering and flavor and a little Styrian for flavor and aroma, and I think you got a winner.
A Honey Red Ale if you will, crunch the numbers of course to balance it out, should be kinda malty and a bit nutty. with a good honey note to it.

Dam that sounds good now I have to come up with one of those. Post the recipe if you decide to go with it and let me know when you do...thanks.

Cheers

wop31 said:
Yup that looks good, Mash it...Boil It....& Pitch on it:D

Kidding....

I would take some of that 2 row, with the Carared, a good dose of the honey malt, pound or two of carapils and a c*nt hair of the 120 (for color only), mash it kinda high for a bit of body (158 or so) add a mellow hop schedule, a little KG for bittering and flavor and a little Styrian for flavor and aroma, and I think you got a winner.
A Honey Red Ale if you will, crunch the numbers of course to balance it out, should be kinda malty and a bit nutty. with a good honey note to it.

Dam that sounds good now I have to come up with one of those. Post the recipe if you decide to go with it and let me know when you do...thanks.

Cheers

WOOOOOOOO Baaaby! Now that sounds like a good f'in beer. I really like the sounds of that my friend. Any more ideas out there? Keep em coming!

Brew sour beer. All you need is the yeast.

4.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2 > Use 2-Row
4.50 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4 > Use Cara Vienna
0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25 > You got this
3.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8 > Just use All CaraMunich
50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120 > You got this
0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2 > Skip it
.7oz Kent Golgings for 60min > You got this

Modify Jamil Z's award winning Flanders Red like above, your list is pretty close. Add the candi syrup too, why not. Ferment with wlp001 to ~1.015-1.020, cool and rack off yeast, then add roeselare blend, or lambic blend, or whatever. I've got this going right now. My .02

Don't think I'm ready to step into the world of lambic's yet, landhoney! I want to, but keeping it simpler for now.

I'm go with a honey red, that just sounds too flippin awesome. I'm gonna add some carapils and flaked barley to give it a smoooth creamyness, then I'll see if I can get it on nitrous when it comes time for kegging, but not sure I'll have that setup by then or not.

Final recipe to come in a couple days. Thanks for th ekiller idea wop31!

no prob seefresh, Glad to help. This actually got me thinking and now I am going to put together one too, probably be brewed on the 15th of sept. I like the flaked barley idea, but think i am going to sub oat malt for that though. Honey Oat Red Ale (the Old HORA, i think?) Don't know what that means but could be taken a few ways. What ever I come up with I will Post and let me know when you do it will be cool to compare recipes.

Cheers

Sweet!! We will have to trade each other when they are ready, so we can tell the difference in the oats and barley. Make sure to bottle a couple and I will as well. :D

My brother lives near Ft. Wayne, FYI. He's a noob brewer, but loves it.

seefresh said:
Don't think I'm ready to step into the world of lambic's yet, landhoney! I want to, but keeping it simpler for now.

It is simple. All you need is a little time for the critters to do their work, its like anything in homebrewing - daunting before you do it, and then you wonder what the big deal was. Enjoy your Red -sounds good.
BTW, the EAC in me needs to say this, Flanders Red/Sour Brown are not lambics.

Go grab 2lbs of flaked oats and make a russian imperial stout! GO BIG! go sweet, dark and bitter!

1lb special b
1lb roasted barley
1lb chocolate malt
1lb crystal 120
2lbs flaked oats
2lbs crystal 40
2lbs caravienna
2lbs caramunich
8lbs 2-row

2oz brewer's gold 60min
1oz cascade & EKG 30 min
1oz cascade & EKG 10 min
1oz cascade, EKG & Brewer's gold 1 min/flameout

75% brewhouse efficency AND 75% attenuation:
og:1.085
FG:1.021
IBU:78
SRM:50
ABV:8.3

go with the irish yeast! :rockin: Maybe up the base malt. And try not to drink it for a few months after you make it!:p

Here's my final recipe wop. Mashing as I type this:

7lb pale 2-row American
1.5lb Carared (40L)
1lb honey malt
1lb flaked barley
1/2lb cryatal 120

Hops will be

Kent Goldings 1oz 60
Styrian 1/4oz 30
Styrian 1/4oz 15

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Sweet, how did it come out? What was the color of the wort, i would think a little dark with the 120. I am leaning more toward something like this (I will be brewing on Sat the 15th):

2 row 50%
Oat malt 30%
Honey Malt 10%
CaraRed 10%

I am still working up the recipe but I will post it as soon as I get the bugs out, Putting in an order to Northernbrewer on Monday. I am definitely interested in swapping some beers when we are done. Maybe we could get some others in on it too.

Cheers

Gorgeous color, not too dark at all, a muddy orange right now. I think it will be spot on. I'm siphoning from kettle to fermenter right now. Pretty bad efficiency tonight though. Around 63 or 64 I think.

Right on, maybe i should think about adding a bit of 120 to mine then. do you mean that you got 63% eff, or OG of 63? In promash 63% would put you around 1.048, does that sound about right?

Yep, efficiency. But I miscalculated, it's at 75F right now and 1.049, so I actually hit just above 1.050 once temperature corrected, so bad, but still not too bad. I also got 5.5 gals due to a week boil int he first 20 minutes. At around 72% efficiency. I'm used to 75+ efficiency though.

Not sure what my problem was, I did mash a little high around 157, I want this one to have a full body and be pretty sweet. I also noticed after sparging I was still getting pretty high gravity run off, I could have done another round of sparging and had a 90 minutes boil, but I really didn't feel like heating more water or having a long ass boil.

72 will work :D

seefresh said:
Dadgummit, Grimsawyer. I was all set in making the creamed honey red and now you've gotme pondering an imperial stout!

You know... 1.050 wouldn't be that bad a gravity to grow a nice big hungry yeast cake that would just chomp down and eat up one hell of a Russian Imperial Stout... I'm sure that yeast would make a fine one too.... :p

Alright here is the recipe that I came up with, the grain bill is a bit big because my efficiency has kinda sucked lately and I am having to try and find my faults right now (calculated for 65% efficiency). It may change a little, if anything does I will post the changes after I brew. I tried to keep the ingredients similar to yours, seefresh, just changing a few grains.

Batch size: 11gal

Est OG: 1.059
Est FG: 1.015
Est ABV: 5.8%
Est IBU: 13.8
Est SRM: 11.4

Grain:
15lbs Maris Otter
7lbs Oat Malt
3lbs Honey Malt
3lbs Carared (20L)
.25lbs Crystal 120L

Hops:
1oz EKG 60min
.5oz EKG 20min
.5oz Styrian 20min
.5oz Styrian Flame out

Yeast:
WLP002

Mash:
Single Step at 150 for 60 min (1.25 to 1 ratio), sparge 170.

Any thoughts on it would be great.

Cheers

Looks awesome dude! We will have to trade each other some bottles, I would love to know the difference in the marris otter/pils and flaked oat/flaked barley.

Mine is going great. I took a sample today, still bubbling good, but already down to 1.022 and tasting awesome. Tasting real awesome. Nice dark orange in color as well.

Sweet i just put my order in tonight and should, barring any natural disasters (I have a 1.5 year old) be brewing this weekend. I am definitely down with trading some, I have missed out on all the beer swaps because I haven't had anything to send off so it will be cool to get some other opinions. I am throwing around the idea of cold conditioning it for awhile, so that may extend the schedule on this one. I may cold condition one half and just keg out of the secondary one half. I am really hoping for a crystal clear beer, and from what I have read the oat malt can leave it a little hazy. So I may need to chill it for a week or two to get the desired clarity. Either way I think that we both came up with some good beers. I have been looking for a new "house beer". Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

wop31 said:
Sweet i just put my order in tonight and should, barring any natural disasters (I have a 1.5 year old) be brewing this weekend. I am definitely down with trading some, I have missed out on all the beer swaps because I haven't had anything to send off so it will be cool to get some other opinions. I am throwing around the idea of cold conditioning it for awhile, so that may extend the schedule on this one. I may cold condition one half and just keg out of the secondary one half. I am really hoping for a crystal clear beer, and from what I have read the oat malt can leave it a little hazy. So I may need to chill it for a week or two to get the desired clarity. Either way I think that we both came up with some good beers. I have been looking for a new "house beer". Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

Yea, I was in Europe while all the beer swaps were happening. Too bad too, I had a killer hefeweizen over the spring and summer.

I just mashed in on this batch. I am pretty much following the recipe I came up with before.

Not too exciting but here is the Rig in action:

7985-Mash-inonHORA.JPG

Will Post result when I am done.

Cheers

So Today was a good Day other than the fact that for some reason my efficiency sucked a$$. I am not sure what is up but I hit my numbers and batch sparged for the first time and still came up a little short. I calculated my recipe for 65% Eff and got about 60%. I am really not sure what else aside from the grain mill that I am using, It was borrowed from a friend, but I have used the same grain mill and gotten 74% before. Oh well I got 10 more gallons of beer fermenting away in the closet so it was a good day.

Cheers

BTW OG 1.048

wop31 said:
So Today was a good Day other than the fact that for some reason my efficiency sucked a$$. I am not sure what is up but I hit my numbers and batch sparged for the first time and still came up a little short. I calculated my recipe for 65% Eff and got about 60%. I am really not sure what else aside from the grain mill that I am using, It was borrowed from a friend, but I have used the same grain mill and gotten 74% before. Oh well I got 10 more gallons of beer fermenting away in the closet so it was a good day.

Cheers

BTW OG 1.048

Last batch of beer I boiled up I used a barley crusher set where it comes from in the factory. I batch sparged collecting 8 gallons of wort boiling down to 4.5(was shooting for 5, now I know how much evaporates during a 120min boil) and still only got 64% eff. Next time I'm going to crush a touch finer but collect 9 gallons of wort. Maybe I can get closer to 80%... From what I understand JUST the crush can make 10% difference in efficiency or more.

Grimsawyer said:
Last batch of beer I boiled up I used a barley crusher set where it comes from in the factory. I batch sparged collecting 8 gallons of wort boiling down to 4.5(was shooting for 5, now I know how much evaporates during a 120min boil) and still only got 64% eff. Next time I'm going to crush a touch finer but collect 9 gallons of wort. Maybe I can get closer to 80%... From what I understand JUST the crush can make 10% difference in efficiency or more.

I am starting to learn that. I checked the gap on the grain mill that I borrowed and it was set (unadjustable) to .049. I am thinking that I need one a little closer say .040-.045. I am looking into building my own adjustable mill. I am going to contract out the work on rollers though. But what bothers me is that using the same mill i have and my friend who the mill belongs to have both gotten 70% or better. so I am going to keep trying things out .

Cheers

Racked the beer to some kegs today, I skipped the secondary cause they have been in the primary for 3 weeks, i am going to carb/cold condition for at least a week maybe two before i pull one. one carboy fermented out to 1.012 and the other was 1.014. The color was an awesome deep amber/red, aroma was malty, and tasted pretty good for being young. The second had a little more bite to it but was most likely just yeast.

When it is all carbed up and ready to go I will PM you Seefresh. I will most likely either send you a couple of the better one or a couple of each.

How are your's coming along?

Cheers

wop31 said:
I am starting to learn that. I checked the gap on the grain mill that I borrowed and it was set (unadjustable) to .049. I am thinking that I need one a little closer say .040-.045. I am looking into building my own adjustable mill. I am going to contract out the work on rollers though. But what bothers me is that using the same mill i have and my friend who the mill belongs to have both gotten 70% or better. so I am going to keep trying things out .

Cheers

I changed the gap on my barley crusher and got 83% eff with a 2 hour boil!!! YUS!! Going to crank that baby down, make some flour and go for 83% eff with only a 60 min boil! I've got a barley crusher. Love it! Just need to dial it in is all. a few more brews and it'll be there!

Welp, tasted mine today. Unexpected flavor, but very nice. It is a bit more bitter than I was expecting, but I actually like it. The honey malt comes through very subtly, I think it's partially being masked by the bitterness. It has 0 clarity, I'm guessing the flaked barley is to blame for this? The mouthfeel is great, really coats the mouth all the way to the back of the tongue with a nice, crisp finish. Very interesting beer and I'm excited to keep drinking them. Yours will be in the mail beginning of next week wop :) I'd wait at least another week to drink after you get it, it's still young. Only been in the bottles 5 days, but it is fully carbonated.

Oh yea, and has a great lace all the way down the side of the glass.

Back