Trying to figure out my second brew. FBS clone. Steeping flaked oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weaksauce

Reaction score
So, I am just over a week in to fermenting my first brew. I did the Blind Pig clone from Morebeer. I did a full boil and hit my OG just fine and think I am on track to have a good brew. My only concern so far is my fermentation temperature is a little lower than I would like at about 65f. It is still bubbling away so I think I should be fine so long as it doesn't get so cold that my yeast stall out.

For my next brew I wanted to do the Founders Breakfast Stout clone from BYO(http://***********/stories/issue/ar.../1911-founders-brewings-breakfast-stout-clone). This recipe has me a little perplexed. I see it has a lot of grain and calls for some steeping and rinsing but I thought that the flaked oats would require a mash. Will I need to do some sort of mini-mash or should I just go ahead with the recipe as it is written with the exception of doing a full boil? Beersmith tells me that I will come up short on my OG if I do the extract with steeping but if I do a partial mash I will hit the recipes OG on the nose. I would like to be able to get by with the equipment that I have since I am still just getting started. I have the Austin Homebrew deluxe starter kit with plastic secondary, a propane burner, and a 36qt stainless kettle. Ideally I would like to get my ingredients ordered or a mash tun built so I can brew on Sunday.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back