Goose Island IPA: what kind of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I have decided that for some reason Goose Island IPA is currently my favorite commercial brew to drink. I have concluded that what I like about it is the hops flavor in it. It has a really fresh, minty flavor that's not too bitter. It's refreshing, I guess. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the malt-- it's really almost a lawnmower beer in that respect (except its kind of strong in the alcohol dept.)-- but I just love the hops they use.

Anyone have any idea what variety or combination of varieties it might be?

They admit to Tettnang, Simcoe, and Cascade for their IIPA, so I wouldn't be surprised if the IPA is much the same.

I hate to act like a winetasting snob, and I'm probably totally wrong about this, but I only really taste one "note" in it. That makes me wonder if there is only one kind of hops. Yet if the IIPA has 3 kinds that they admit too, I wonder if the IPA is the same or similar?

My memory was Styrian for bittering, Cascade & Fuggles for late hopping/WP; then dry-hopped with Centennial and EKG. It's a twenty+ year old memory on a messed up brain, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mitch Steele's IPA book has it quite differently: Pilgrim in the boil, Styrian (Savinjski) Goldings and T45 Cascades in WP; dry-hop with Centennial and Cascade.

BREWER'S NOTES
Our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result is a hop lover’s dream with a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, and long hop finish.

RECIPE INFORMATION
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 5.9%
IBU: 55
Color: Bourbon
Hops: Cascade, Centennial, Pilgrim, Styrian Celeia
Malts: Pale

Seems Fuggles is out and Pilgrim is in

With grain of salt!:

I don't know when I first noticed it, but it did seem to me something had changed. Difficult to keep the sense memory alive after two decades, but this would make sense. I don't know if it was before or after the A-B buyout. I still think it's an awesome ale.

What worked, it seemed to me, was the nice blend of American and English hops - massive citrus from the two C's (esp. prodigious amounts of Centennial in dry hop slurry), with the earthiness and floweriness of the English hops (EKG, IIRC, with the Centennial in dry hopping).

I also recall it was 100% Maris. It is possible it was Schreier "Special Pale" or "Pale Ale" malt. Sorry guys, best memory I have. I'm inclined to think it was Maris, which they kept in a separate silo (all specialty malts were bagged).

Yes, which is what leads me to wonder if the recipe was changed after the buyout. It does taste different to me than my memory of quite a ways back. It's not a "bad" different, just different.

I too really enjoyed/liked the Goose Island products before InBev. Something has changed (and not for the better).

With grain of salt!:

I don't know when I first noticed it, but it did seem to me something had changed. Difficult to keep the sense memory alive after two decades, but this would make sense. I don't know if it was before or after the A-B buyout. I still think it's an awesome ale.

What worked, it seemed to me, was the nice blend of American and English hops - massive citrus from the two C's (esp. prodigious amounts of Centennial in dry hop slurry), with the earthiness and floweriness of the English hops (EKG, IIRC, with the Centennial in dry hopping).

I also recall it was 100% Maris. It is possible it was Schreier "Special Pale" or "Pale Ale" malt. Sorry guys, best memory I have. I'm inclined to think it was Maris, which they kept in a separate silo (all specialty malts were bagged).

Paul, I totally agree. Goose Island was a great craft beer before InBev. Something has changed. For me, it was when cases appeared at Costco. Goose Island just wasn't the same...

I too really enjoyed/liked the Goose Island products before InBev. Something has changed (and not for the better).

I can say it moved away from how I loved it, but it seems like a somewhat subtle change, unless my memory has just tanked, entirely possible. My first thought is they went cheaper, but then when I started seeing reports of these hops changes, I just thought that must be it. I have no experience with Pilgrim, and I know it wasn't that C American-English aroma and flavor hopping (and maybe not as much quantity?). Maybe it's telling that I almost never pick it up any longer....

Paul, I totally agree. Goose Island was a great craft beer before InBev. Something has changed. For me, it was when cases appeared at Costco. Goose Island just wasn't the same...

Ha - Costco. I'm glad I never saw that, Tobor! I am able to live with a memory of doing "informal" sensory evaluation in the taproom....a redoubtable array of taps on the brewhouse floor - top half of the mash tun and kettle, couches, taps. What could go wrong?:D

Like all people, generally, I was just a line slave first, left. Then rehired as the National Distribution Manager. Bits and pieces handed to me in QC and QA. I soaked up everything I could, brewer constantly (my keggle system was on the bottom floor, right beneath the kettle, lol) and enjoyed the companionship of some fantastic brewers, cellarmen, microbiologist. I've entered one beer only, in my life, in the AHA's. Strong Scotch Ale that won 2nd in the Midwest Region, slated for finals back east but my in-laws drank all the sample beer, lol. It meant a lot to me that Matt Brynildson, then the Head Brewer, came over with paper in hand to offer his congratulations and encouragement. I'm shy about some of this stuff, but he told me "(I) have the feel" and should keep at it.

An extraordinary talent, and an extraordinary leader. I'm glad he's done well.

I can tell you InBev picked up a local brewery by me and the beer is 100% not the same and it's a shame Blue Point Blueberry Ale used to be amazing now I don't even look at it twice same thing with their Toasted lager the flavor was dumbed down

Back