Poll, who will kill more bacteria!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which cleaning agent kills more bacteria!

• Star San

• Iodophor

Results are only viewable after voting.

optimatored

Reaction score
For all who are interested:

In my microbiology class we were asked to bring in samples of "cleaners" from home (Lysol, bleach...). We will be placing them on plates with "lawns" of bacteria to see the effectiveness of random cleaning agents.

My plan is to bring in Star San and Iodophor... if they let me I will take pictures for everyone to see and post the results. This will be in about a week or so.

So to the vote... what will be more effective?

Star San or Iodophor?

Just a few notes on the experiment:

We will be doing a filter paper method to determine effectiveness. We soak a paper disk in the sanitizer and then add the disk to the bacterial plate. The greater the area of "clearing" the more effective the cleaning agent is against the type of bacteria. In this case is either B. subtilis or S. aureus.

Just a simple way to determine effectiveness and more interesting that scientific. As some agents may just travel father on the plate that others.

UPDATE 4/20/2010

The bacteria I was given is S. aureus... We inoculated each plate with our bacteria, then soaked a paper disc in the following.

4 plates total: 1 Star San, 1 Iodophor, 1 Phenol, and 1 is straight bleach. Results will be next week.

RESULTS 4/27/2010

There really is no winner in the end... I am going with inconclusive results because Iodophor really did nothing at all. This could be because the Iodophor evaporated off the disc, did not diffuse across the plate, or my concentration was low. Who knows, but it was fun any way. Just in case I am sticking with Star San!

Note the cleared area around each white disk showing no bacterial growth. Pictures were taken with my cell phone so are not the best.

Bleach P Vulgaris (Medium).jpg

Bleach S Aureus (Medium).jpg

Iodophor P. vulgaris (Medium).jpg

Iodophor S Aureus (Medium).jpg

Star San S Aureus.jpg

they both work 100% if used correctly...i vote both (I was a microbiology major and recommend changing majors unless you plan on being a doctor or teacher)

cheers :mug:

I'm saying star-san. It claims to "go after" bacteria even when sugar or other carbohydrates are present, unlike something like bleach that is in-discriminatory.

I vote for Iodophor working better. I think the pH of the starsan may be adversely affected by the ingredients in the media, which might raise the pH above that recommended for Starsan. Both will be diluted, but I don't recall iodophor having pH issues

No idea but anxious to see the results.

Would be really interesting to see this over time...
1 second, 30 second, 1 minute contact, etc...

I voted "Elephant" because I am uneducated and I know a gerbil with a lisp.

Looking forward to the results. Thread duly prosted. :)

Edit. This thread could be even more interesting than it first appears if we get to see the data that compares these sanitizers to common household cleaners. I, for one, when disposing of my old starsan do so creatively. I put some in the dishwasher, some down the waste disposal, some in the whirlpool bath (Real bacteria traps) It would be nice to see if i'm wasting my time or not. :)

I vote 'both' but I think star-san will make it to the finish line first.

But both will get the job done.

I've seen a dish soap clean
I've seen oxyclean mean
I've seen honey water get rid of flies
But I be done seen 'bout ev'rything
When I see a elephant sanitize

I voted idophor because I better understand exactly what it is.

Edit. This thread could be even more interesting than it first appears if we get to see the data that compares these sanitizers to common household cleaners. I, for one, when disposing of my old starsan do so creatively. I put some in the dishwasher, some down the waste disposal, some in the whirlpool bath (Real bacteria traps) It would be nice to see if i'm wasting my time or not. :)
I soaked my feet in it once.

I vote iodofor. AFAIK, there is at least one microscopic organism for which iodofor is poison and Starsan not-so-much.;) I know, yeast is not bacteria but w/e.

Not a science guy - however there are a lot of variables.

When time wise will you measure the effectiveness? And for how long? Will you follow it up hours or days later to see if it is still working?

My eight year old did something like this with a neighbor who is a Bio-Chem professor, using some common household items. The results were unexpected and damn if I can remember what they were. LOL

I soaked my feet in it once.

Inquiring minds need to know. Did it cure your disease/fungus/fetish?

I really do need to know. I have leather feet that I once used an angle grinder on to try and tone down that gnarly ol' heel bark that women find so attractive on a man. I never wear shoes unless I have to, and it shows. :eek:

I will post all results then... other agents are: vinegar, bleach, Lysol, spices, regular soap, and whatever other random stuff we decide on.

Not a science guy - however there are a lot of variables.

When time wise will you measure the effectiveness? And for how long? Will you follow it up hours or days later to see if it is still working?

My eight year old did something like this with a neighbor who is a Bio-Chem professor, using some common household items. The results were unexpected and damn if I can remember what they were. LOL

not sure yet, will be doing the experiment this week. the bacteria is currently incubating.

I am so freaking shaking. The ESPN coverage of this upcoming fight has been great. Peter Gammons was just on saying that the staph aureus showed up to training in the best shape of its life. Stuart Scott said "They call Iodophor 'Dikembe' because it's always cleaning the glass! Boo-yah!", but Chris Berman said "'When-you-Wish-Upon-A' StarSan could..go..all..the..WAY!"

Vegas has Starsan -3, but the unknown is how the bacteria evolve before the fight--they have time for a few dozen generations to develop heretofore unseen resistances.

At what concentrations?
At what exposure time?
Will any off flavors be left behind?

Both at no rinse concentrations.

Exposure time is unknown... at least a day since we will be putting the filter disks on a 'lawn' of bacteria.

off flavors.... you can taste the plates if you want. :mug:

I am so freaking shaking. The ESPN coverage of this upcoming fight has been great. Peter Gammons was just on saying that the staph aureus showed up to training in the best shape of its life. Stuart Scott said "They call Iodophor 'Dikembe' because it's always cleaning the glass! Boo-yah!", but Chris Berman said "'When-you-Wish-Upon-A' StarSan could..go..all..the..WAY!"

Vegas has Starsan -3, but the unknown is how the bacteria evolve before the fight--they have time for a few dozen generations to develop heretofore unseen resistances.

To the memorable quotes thread!!!! :D

EPIC, just want to see the results...you know you will need to make a follow up quote once the actual results are given

Haha! I am also interested in the outcome of this.. my guess will be that both work do the trick.

I'm between Iodophor and Chuck Norris!
There is no such a product like satrsan in my country.
Anyway we use alcohol to a 70% concentration (not as cheap as iodophor, but much more easy to obtain... And It's also very effective!)

Should have thrown One-Step into the mix and put some actual data to the argument over that product.

Mixed at the proper ratio, I think they'll both do the job equally well, which means NOT 100%. Sanitize isn't the same as sterilize. The advantage to Iodophor is that it can be mixed stronger to reach hospital-level sanitization, although it's no longer "no rinse".

+1 for chuck norris only problem is if you used chuck norris to sanitize your beer gear hed finish up too fast and kill you next...and you cant brew beer if your dead

Back