new used monster pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
On my way to work I notice a big dumpster at a deli slash gas station where I get fuel. There was a worker taking a wheel barrow full of crap out and whats on top this 120 qt pot. I stopped and just as he was about to walk it into the dumpster I ask about it ... Guy say's "You want it Take it" Seems the tenant skipped out on three months rent and left some stuff in the closet . All junk but this.

liter bottle just for size
120gt.JPG

needs a good cleaning there is vegetable oil residue on it

120gtpot.JPG

its a wear ever super thick pot

120gtpot1.JPG

today was a good day. Love free stuff

That's awesome! Now you need to find a free burner to hold it, and start making 20 gallon batches!

The kickabanjo will hold it . I just noticed the handles are welded on not riveted like my 60 qt

120qtpot3.JPG

the base is super thick that isn't rolled

120qtpot5.JPG

120qtbase.JPG

sides are little thinner with rolled top
120qtlip.JPG

Ah, you don't want to use that ALUMINUM pot. Don't you know that'll give you... ah... um... I forgot what it'll give you, but it's something bad.

That is certainly one heck of a score you got yourself there Springer congratulations! Now you can do a big group brew...everybody bring over their gear, make the same beer, one big boil, and everybody takes home 5G to ferment with their choice of yeast. Then, when it's time for the comparison tasting, you can do it all over again!

Hey my landlord said he was going to save my brew pot for me,thanks for rescueing it for me. Ill pm you my address so you can return it to its proper owner. Jk congrats on the find

That is a beauty, I think it deserves at least an hour of your time w/ a scotchbrite scrub bad to make it look much nicer. I would scrub that thing till it shined, then do a few water boils of course.

Did I say I liked it!

Wow, install a spigot on the side of that beast and get rolling. Now you just need 1000' of copper coil to get your immersion chiller going! :D

That is certainly one heck of a score you got yourself there Springer congratulations! Now you can do a big group brew...everybody bring over their gear, make the same beer, one big boil, and everybody takes home 5G to ferment with their choice of yeast. Then, when it's time for the comparison tasting, you can do it all over again!

meh... keep it all to myself :p Not many brewers local to me

Hey my landlord said he was going to save my brew pot for me,thanks for rescueing it for me. Ill pm you my address so you can return it to its proper owner. Jk congrats on the find

250.00 shipping should cover it
That is a beauty, I think it deserves at least an hour of your time w/ a scotchbrite scrub bad to make it look much nicer. I would scrub that thing till it shined, then do a few water boils of course.

Did I say I liked it!

most definitely . I plain on polishing the outside with a rotary buffer .May end up selling a couple of keggles sans fittings

I'd definitely clean the heck out of it but, I am not sure I'd "scrub til it shined" unless I researched how to re-passivate aluminum and get the oxide layer back. Not sure if Aluminum will re-passivate itself or not.

Excellent find tho'.

I'd definitely clean the heck out of it but, I am not sure I'd "scrub til it shined" unless I researched how to re-passivate aluminum and get the oxide layer back. Not sure if Aluminum will re-passivate itself or not.

Excellent find tho'.

Aluminum is easy to re-passivate just boil water in it for like an hour that dark/dull layer is the oxide that protects the aluminum .

That is Awesome.. I want to see some pics when it's all cleaned-up and shiny(er).

I cleaned it up and did a boil in it to get the oxide coating. I will have to do it again because even after I scrubbed it I got a little oil on the water surface. I am just going to fill it with water and some dishwashing detergent and let it sit a few days . Cant really see it too well but fits the burner perfectly

pot.JPG

What everyone else has failed to mention is just hoe bad you truly suck!

Nice freebie. SWMBO once rescued an old weber bbq from the garbage heap, we took first place state chicken on that old kettle.

Wow, install a spigot on the side of that beast and get rolling. Now you just need 1000' of copper coil to get your immersion chiller going! :D

Actually, a good point.....sometimes, good luck is a two-edged sword. All I can think of is the changes in logistics required with a pot that big......starting with the fact that my little 25' copper chiller, fine for 5 gal, would be virtually useless with this thing.
As previously mentioned, installing a spigot is practically essential. Then there is getting the pot/burner up so it's more practical to drain. Then, if it's up, being able to get up to the top of that bad boy. Then there's the issue of organizing group brews (I can't imagine how I would handle almost a barrel of wort.....etc.
Of course, I'd have taken the thing too, if it was me......

Actually, a good point.....sometimes, good luck is a two-edged sword. All I can think of is the changes in logistics required with a pot that big......starting with the fact that my little 25' copper chiller, fine for 5 gal, would be virtually useless with this thing.
As previously mentioned, installing a spigot is practically essential. Then there is getting the pot/burner up so it's more practical to drain. Then, if it's up, being able to get up to the top of that bad boy. Then there's the issue of organizing group brews (I can't imagine how I would handle almost a barrel of wort.....etc.
Of course, I'd have taken the thing too, if it was me......

I have a 50Ft 1/2 IC that I built for the keggle already doing 10 gallons ,Shirron plate chiller and a March pump so this will be used on a single tier system . I just need the silicon hose and QC to set it up and some time

Back