Beersmith sparge question... non-equal batch sizes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
On my Beersmith brewsheet, it tells me to sparge with 1.94 gallons, vorlouf and drain, and then sparge with 3.63 gallons, vorlouf and drain. Shouldn't the two sparge amounts be of equal volume? If so, could I just add these two amounts and divide in half?

On my Beersmith brewsheet, it tells me to sparge with 1.94 gallons, vorlouf and drain, and then sparge with 3.63 gallons, vorlouf and drain. Shouldn't the two sparge amounts be of equal volume? If so, could I just add these two amounts and divide in half?

I usually round up when I do it. 3.63 gal, I will round up to 4.You can customize any sparge sizes you want on beersmith through the add step feature.

I am guessing you are shooting for equal volumes, but you didn't check off the option to 'drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge.' If not, then the program is correct -- your liquid from the mash plus your first batch sparge water infusion should add up to be the same volume as your second batch sparge water addition. It is the runnings that you are attempting to equalize, not the amount of sparge water additions, necessarily.

If you enable the 'drain the mash tun...' option, you should either get two similarly sized batch sparge water additions, or one big one (depends on the size of your mash tun and what you set for the 'Batch Sparge using batches that fill _____ % of the mash tun' option.

:mug:

but you didn't check off the option to 'drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge.'

DING DING DING! I didn't even know this option was there.

Thanks Flyguy.

Back