Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Rudeboy Jamaican Jerk Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamarlane

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days
Additional Fermentation
Keg condition 21 days with 1.8 oz cane sugar
Tasting Notes
Balanced caramel, spice, bitterness and heat.
Rudeboy Jamaican Jerk Ale
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 8/27/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Wastelands Brewing Co.
Boil Size: 7.04 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 6.50 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal Est Mash Efficiency 90.9 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Taste Notes: Malty, toasty, caramel malt backbone with just the right amount of sweetness to balance against the peppers and allspice. The heat from the peppers is a bit to light for my palate but probably just right for most others. The complex flavors of the allspice and the creaminess from the flaked barley make this a very satisfying fall/winter beer, nice alternative to pumpkin ales. Very unique brew.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.4 %
1.9 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.2 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 5.2 %
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 11 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 13.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Allspice (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
4.00 Items Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Boil 15.0 mins) Flavor 7 -
2.00 Items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 27.0 IBUs
Calories: 155.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 13.7 SRM

Mash 60 minutes at 152'F. Primary at 60'F during first several days of fermentation. As fermentation slows, allow temperature to rise to 65'F. Once fermentation is complete keg with priming sugar and allow to condition at room temperature.

Scotch bonnet peppers are the Jamaican cousin of the habanero. They are just as spicy but have a much richer flavor, especially if allowed to ripen fully red. They can be hard to find so you can use habaneros as a substitute. I remove the stems and slice in half before adding to the boil (do no remove seeds). Spiciness was subdued and well balanced using four whole peppers, I imagine 6 would be a bit more assertive and 8 or more would dominate completely.

Sorry no pics but it pours a deep amber with a subtle red tint and a rocky white head.

Thought I'd try this one out and be the first to say this is a great beer. Nice dark amber colour with a creamy head that hangs aroumd until the last sip. Smells like a pumpkin ale and has a really well balanced flavour. The hot peppers hit you in the finish and leave a slight sensation of spiciness behind. This is an interesting beer for sure and ill make it again in the fall. Thanks to OP for laying out a detailed recipe. It made creating a great beer easy without any geuss work. I entered a few bottles in a local homebrew competition and will post results when they become available.

Forgot to include pic.

1399243500720.jpg

This looks amazing. Going to brew this on Saturday! Question - have you tested the brew you describe in your blog, when you added the spices with rum in fermenter? Curious as to the results! Thanks for sharing!

This looks amazing. Going to brew this on Saturday! Question - have you tested the brew you describe in your blog, when you added the spices with rum in fermenter? Curious as to the results! Thanks for sharing!

Yes - I prefer to add the spices as described in my blog. I also prefer using the dried peppers to fresh because you can taste them much more in the finished product. But adding fresh peppers at the end of boil works fine too.

If using fresh peppers you can roast them a bit over a flame if you like

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm just enjoying my last pint of this brew now. I will be brewing it again this fall. Still waiting on scores from homebrew competition I entered back in april. I think ill use dried peppers next time after reading blog posted above. I used fresh peppers first time around and the flavour was there but I think it will be better with the dry peppers. This is a great beer hands down though, the lingering finish leaves you craving another sip. Full of flavour!

I am entering a home brew contest at a local brewery in October that requires the beer to have chilies in it, and this recipe looks perfect for that. I will be brewing it this weekend, and I will post a picture when it's all said and done. Thanks for the recipe; I am very excited about this.

:mug:

I just kegged this beer last night and it looked great. The aroma from the cinnamon, allspice and the scotch bonnet peppers made was amazing. I can't wait for it to finish conditioning in the keg and I'll post a picture when it's completely finished.

Thanks again for this recipe. So far I'm very pleased with how it has turned out.

I just kegged this beer last night and it looked great. The aroma from the cinnamon, allspice and the scotch bonnet peppers made was amazing. I can't wait for it to finish conditioning in the keg and I'll post a picture when it's completely finished.

Thanks again for this recipe. So far I'm very pleased with how it has turned out.

If you are kegging it I'll warn you... your lines will need a good long soak to get rid of the allspice. Hope you enjoy I'm actually getting ready to brew this one again for the first time in a couple years

If you are kegging it I'll warn you... your lines will need a good long soak to get rid of the allspice. Hope you enjoy I'm actually getting ready to brew this one again for the first time in a couple years

That's a really good point. I think I'm due for some new beer lines anyways, so this seems like a perfect time to change them out.

I am happy to report that this beer is really good. I may have put too much pepper extract in for my liking, because it lingers in the throat (but not a heartburn kind of linger), but it doesn't overpower the amber ale, because it has a really good flavor.

The aroma has only gotten better. I've been meaning to take a picture and post it. I'll do that next time I take a pull off the tap.

Latest posts

Back