Help me identify this culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
I am attempting to harvest wild yeast and bacteria from local raw honey. Made a simple starter and streaked 3 Petri dishes with what grew in the starter. 2 of the plates molded but one shows promise. It certainly isn't sacc, but googling images hasn't shown me anything that looks like this. I will be purchasing larger plates for future use, but for now I am curious if anyone has seen a culture grow like this. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394163475.728143.jpg

I won't be any help at identifying that culture, but I am interested in your process. Would you mind sharing how you got to this point and how you plan to continue from here assuming you get something viable for beer?

Certainly, I made 200ml of 1.030og starter wort and added just over 1tbsp of honey to it in hopes of getting growth of yeast/bacteria that can consume malt sugars. After a few days in the flask there was krausen and visible yeast growth so I prepared some plates with a dme/agar media, flamed my innoculating loop, dipped it in the starter solution after cooling it by pressing it to the plate, and streaking the plate with whatever was captured from the starter. I was hoping to get seperate colonies that looked healthy to try and isolate different strains and then build them up to do small sample ferments with the individual strains to see if I captured anything worthwhile for brewing. I must have gotten way too much on the plate, which is relatively small for what I am doing. I will be ordering larger plates soon and greatly limiting the amount of sample gets on the media.

The only way to know for sure what you have is to look at it under a scope. You seem to know your way around a home yeast lab any access to one?

I don't have a microscope yet, but I will soon. I did some more research this morning and it appears this culture is a fungus that would not be suitable for brewing. Most brewing yeast (which is a specialized fungus) and bacteria grows by budding, not the branching threads that is seen on my sample. So, I won't be using this for any fermentation tests and I will make a new starter from the honey and try again.

But it was so pretty!

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Doesn't honey have antibacterial properties? Would this severly limit the types of yeast and bacteria you can culture from it?
I may be way off base here...

Back