Brew Tree Structure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHogDeluxe

Reaction score
I'm new here....so first off Hello:mug:
I'm getting ready to dive into all grain brewing by building my own brew tree. I have done a lot of research and got some great ideas. Probably go with a 3 tier system just to reduce the foot print in my garage.
I have one issuue...is it better to keep the whole structure lower by using a pump to pump the wort into my primary or to make it a little taller and go all gravity. I know the pump can also be used for recirc back into the mash tun also, but it still leaves me wondering if it is worth the extra $150 for the pump.
Any other do's and don't will be greatly appreiciated also.
Thanks,
Garry

The pump will help you with the recirc. and in my opinion this will help efficiency and with clarity of your wort. I don't have a pump, but will be adding soon for these reasons. I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler from home depot that I got cheap that works great for mashing. It isn't worth the slight savings to even mess with the 5 gallon models, I feel that with some of the moderate gravity beers I do (up to 1.070), I push the size of the 10 gallon model. Just my 2 cents.

I think that after all the research that I have done for the last week I have decided to build a HERMS on a table platform and keep the footprint as small as possible.
The main reason is the height at which you have to have the HL tank on a tree, then I started looking at pumps and such and just decided if I'm going to put the investment out I minds well do it right the first time....full throttle!! I will post pics when it is complete. :mug:

I don't have the funds for anything elaborate so I started from the bottom. I took my tallest fermenter and sat it on the floor. I then determined the height of the stand I had to make (2X4's and plywood) to set my SP10 on to get the valve on my kettle at the right height. I then did the same to position my mash tun (10 gallon igloo cooler). Then on to the HLT which is another 10 gallon pot on top of a turkey fryer burner. My next step is to plumb a line through a filter (Maybe R/O) to fill the HLT without lifting jugs of water. Soon there will be no lifting until the fermenter is full.

Back