Question about older kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
My Dad was able to get two ball lock kegs from his sister but they have not been used in over 6 years and they still had syrup from the last soda that was in them. Do you think it would be worth trying to clean these out and replacing the O rings or will it be more trouble than its worth?

I was planning on putting some oxy clean in them and letting them soak for a few days (multiple times if needed) and then replacing all the o rings. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Remove the posts and poppet valves, you can clean them up by soaking them. Remove the tubes and check them also. You can clean the outside of the kegs with oxy and a green scrubbie. Remove any stickers with a careful use of a razor blade. Sounds like a great find.

Absolutely worth it taking everything apart and changing o rings is great advice, also oxy works better hot.and when you get the o ring get some sanitized lube and put it on the o rings

Got them opened up today and they look great on the inside, going to soak with oxy overnight.

I am having trouble getting the side posts off though, what tools do you guys recommend to do this? Edit: Nvm got em

Clean them up with barkeepers friend on the outside, PBW on the inside, and new orings for 3 bucks and your good to go.

Trying to decide on which regulator I should get. I kind of just want to use paintball tanks at first due to space issues in my mini fridge plus I already have 3 20 oz tanks and a place that refills them 5 minutes down the road.

I was looking at these two kits on kegconnection and don't really know the difference between a 1 and 2 gauge regulator.

This kit only works with paintball tanks which kind of sucks

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=580

This one will work for normal tanks but I guess I would need to get some kind of adapter to hook it up to my Co2 tank

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=464

What is the difference between the 1 and 2 gauge regulators aside from the fact that one can only be used with paintball tanks?

philly, as a gentle reminder. If you have a question other than the thread topic you should start a new thread.:mug:

From the picture of the 2 gauge regulator, the gauge on the left shows the pressure of the tank and the gauge on top shows line pressure.

The regulators have 4 ports (sometimes 5). One for inlet, 2 regulated outlets, and 1 unregulated outlet. All ports have threads so you can screw all kinds of hardware into them, i.e., gauges, nipples, barbs...

Back