Didnt correct OG for temp - trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vogtenstein222

Reaction score
I'm on day 4 of fermentation and just realized I didn't correct my OG for temp...can I still add water or is it too late?

I'd let it go and proceed as normal. Just remember it on the next brew. There are so many beers I wish I could get back because I ruined them by trying to "fix" something later in the game. :/

cooper said:
I'd let it go and proceed as normal. Just remember it on the next brew. There are so many beers I wish I could get back because I ruined them by trying to "fix" something later in the game. :/

Fair enough. Thank you.
I'm going to print and frame a poster that says "A $27.00 learning experience is still better than a $28.00 one."
I have learned so much on this first batch, and taken loads of notes...

I'm not really sure what you are asking here. Did you get a reading that after you corrected for temperature seemed too high?

If it was an extract kit and you used all the ingredients and got the right volume your OG is close enough. When using top off water getting a good mix is sometimes difficult, throwing off the reading.

After 4 days almost anything you do to try to correct things is more likely to make things worse.

As already said; let it ride. A beer out of style is better than one messed up by trying to fix it.

It was a BB Weizenbier extract kit. I boiled 2.5g of water for the wort, then added the other (roughly) 2g when it went to fermentation. I watched the gravity and stopped adding water when it hit 1.047 ( rec'd OG of 1.047 - 1.051 if I remember right - I don't have the paper nearby atm) I wound up with a volume of about 4.25g in the fermenter. Wort temp was at about 70*F, ambient at about 68*F.

It was a BB Weizenbier extract kit. I boiled 2.5g of water for the wort, then added the other (roughly) 2g when it went to fermentation. I watched the gravity and stopped adding water when it hit 1.047 ( rec'd OG of 1.047 - 1.051 if I remember right - I don't have the paper nearby atm) I wound up with a volume of about 4.25g in the fermenter. Wort temp was at about 70*F, ambient at about 68*F.

Just be careful using this method. Generally, it takes some pretty vigorous stirring to fully mix in top water with wort . . . and failing to stir fully can give an inaccurate gravity reading.

The flip side is that every addition and stir step that you do increases your risk of infection or high side oxidation (unless you're fully cooled).

It is QUITE possible to take a gravity reading, then calculate the exact amount of water you need to add to get to a given gravity. Generally speaking, if you are going to shoot for gravity, as opposed to volume, this would be the way to do it.

Back