uh...keep this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
So I have never tried brewing anything with wild yeast. The other day I was trying to see how much good wort I was leaving in my kettle, so after I was done with the regular brew session, I poured the remains into a pasta jar. When it went it, it was mostly trub and hops. After a day it started to clear. After four days, it was half wort half trub/hops, still clear. On the fifth day, I thought I would take a whiff, just for yucks. Pffft! It had pressurized. Now I could see CO2 bubbles rapidly coming to the surface. I let it ferment for a week or two. It does not have any visual sign of infection. I justed sampled some. It has a strange, light and tart flavor. Like I said, I don't brew with bugs or wild yeast, at least not yet, so I have no idea what to make of it. Worth harvesting? [sorry for the bad pics...nothing there is "white" like it appears, it is gummy and yellow like normal yeast crud on the sides.]

jar1.jpg

jar3.jpg

I'm sure someone wiser than me will chime in, but I'd say you'd want to separate the sludge from the wort. I would just gently pour the liquid into another clean container.

I'm thinking the heavy amount of hops here stopped some of the bacterial activity I expected. It sat there for 4+ days clear as a bell, no activity at all. Maybe I will just agitate it a little to get the yeast in suspension, pour off, and save or make a starter to get more yeast.

If you agitate it let it sit for about 20 minutes to let all the heavier trub fall out of suspension, then pour it off. You will have a good amount of yeast still. How many IBUs was the wort?

Step it up a few times, then use it. If you like that flavor, you'll probably end up with something you'll enjoy.

Latest posts

Back