Yeast storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFRich12

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to all this. I accidentaly made some awesome hard cider from red delicious apples on my property. What happened was we juiced them and forgot about the juice in the fridge. we noticed the lids on the jars were puffing (canning jars) so i released the pressure and put them back in the fridge. a buddy said i should try it because its either hard or vinegar. well it turned out to be hard, and very good (its sad there is only 2.5 pints). now i have some clear liquid with what looks like a mother in the bottom. someone told me that yeast makes a mother and i can keep her in the jar in the fridge. she will go dormant and when fed produce yeast. i was just wondering if there was any technical information on this or any advice. thanks!

I have no idea what a 'mother' is, but if it fermented well, you caught a natural yummy strain of yeast and you should keep it for sure. If you keep it in the refrigerator it will keep for a while. You may want to try a starter before trying again w/ some apple juice to make cider/apfelwine w/ it again but I've never tried w/ natural wild yeast. Sounds awesome!

the mother is that nasty bit of slime in the bottom. like in organic vinegar. i have some awesome cider that i used to make hard cider, i might take a gallon and use this yeast and see what happens!

Back