Weird flavor from co2??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I am fairly new to kegging and just kegged up my 4th batch. I set it to 30 PSI 24 hours ago and just left it sit. I wanted to give it a try today and see how it was doing. When I tasted it, it tasted nothing like beer, it had a somewhat sweet flavor to it. It tasted fine going into the keg. It was a brand new keg, beer line, connects, and faucet, so I know its not an infection.

Anyway, could this taste be from the Co2? I know when I purge my kegs with Co2 they have a certain smell to them and the taste was very similar to this smell.

Anyone experience this before too?

Brand new kegs and lines, but did you clean and sanitize them first? A lot of kegs you find out there have a bit of caustic cleaner still at the bottom. Hopefully you cleaned/sanitized first.

CO2 shouldn't have any type of off-flavor, especially a sweet flavor. It would recommend keeping the keg carbing up for the next week or so, pulling just a little sample each day. This will also help pull the yeast off the bottom of the keg as you go. Try it again in a week or so and it should be cleaned up nicely for you.

Where in Cleveland you located? East-side, Euclid here.

OK, I don't have your answer, but it doesn't sound like CO2. Carbonation adds a sharp, prickly, maybe even tart flavor, but not sweet. About the most highly carbonated beverage you're ever likely to drink, and otherwise flavor neutral is seltzer water - that should be your taste bud calibration reference for CO2...

Brand new kegs and lines, but did you clean and sanitize them first? A lot of kegs you find out there have a bit of caustic cleaner still at the bottom. Hopefully you cleaned/sanitized first.

CO2 shouldn't have any type of off-flavor, especially a sweet flavor. It would recommend keeping the keg carbing up for the next week or so, pulling just a little sample each day. This will also help pull the yeast off the bottom of the keg as you go. Try it again in a week or so and it should be cleaned up nicely for you.

Where in Cleveland you located? East-side, Euclid here.

Im west side, in Brunswick....

Yes, keg was cleaned an sanitized. I rinsed with hot water twice and with cold water to make sure the cleaner was gone. The keg did not smell like the caustic before I kegged the beer

Right on! Just making sure. Just let it sit for a few more days before giving it another try. I had a batch that was kegged up last week. Tried it about 5 days later and it wasn't the most pleasant tasting (too yeasty). I pulled a few ounces each day for like three days and then let it sit for another week. Tastes great now. The first few pulls my not be the best, but time and the cold temperature will definately help!

You ever make it out to JW Dover in Westlake? That's my favorite store in the Cleveland area. If you haven't been there yet, check it out. The owner also has a small brewery upstairs and is VERY knowledgable.

Alright, I'll let it sit longer. Who knows what that flavor is, but hopefully it will go away....

I have heard many people recommend JW Dover, but I have never made it out there. I usually go to Leeners in Northfield. Even tho, I live on the westside, I work on the eastside and my inlaws live in Northfield. Leeners is just on my way home, but I do love their shop and they are always very helpful.

Ill have to check out JW Dover one of these days.....

How old is the beer and what type is it? If it's "green" the flavor will change several times. It's happened to me back in my impatient days.

Im west side, in Brunswick....

Yes, keg was cleaned an sanitized. I rinsed with hot water twice and with cold water to make sure the cleaner was gone. The keg did not smell like the caustic before I kegged the beer

Did the Orings get replaced? I've had a couple kegs that smelled fine, I filled them with beer, drank the beer, and then the keg smelled like caustic again.

I"ve heard of old, used CO2 tanks getting rust (and other nasties) inside of them.

my CO2 purged kegs have nothing beyond a slightly acrid smell, which is really just teh CO2 burning your nostrils.

Back