An Interesting Find In The Old Barn...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celestialparsnip

Reaction score
I've lived here for two years and have never been up to the upper level of the barn, until today. Glad I did, because I made an interesting discovery:

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

I think they're both around 3 gallons. Will have to speak to the landlord and find out their history. The second one seemed to be very thin glass, but the first felt quite sturdy.

Funny the things you find right under your nose (or above your head, in this case).

How could you live there for two years and not check out the barn loft? That would have been the first thing I did.

Yeah, it's sort of in between a demi-john and a carboy. Oh, and the ladder up to the loft is extremely rickety, and there didn't look to be anything of interest up there.

I also found this:

kettle.jpg

spigot.jpg

A giant wood-fired, steam-jacketed hot water kettle. Probably only used for water, but hey. Bit too rusty now to use, I think. Not a good judge of volume, but it looks like it holds a whole damn lot.

Cool pics, you got a pic of the bike I see creepin in one of the pics?

The one demijohn looks like one of these
demi_john_w_basket_sm.jpg

I can grab a pic tomorrow. If I recall correctly, it was a ladies bike. I might be mistaken. There were a whole heap of vintage wooden skis too.

I can grab a pic tomorrow. If I recall correctly, it was a ladies bike. I might be mistaken. There were a whole heap of vintage wooden skis too.

yo man, those vintage wood skis could be worth something. They are very popular for decoration in businesses and homes near ski areas. I know some ski shop owners who collect stuff like that.

Well, they're the landlords. He probably used them when growing up (He's in his mid 80s).

It was very cool to see all this old gear up there, though.

Hes 80, ebay the skis, he wont use em or ever climb the ladder to the loft EVER again. If you ask old people for things they saved they always say no. Like the little old lady who kept all her nice new table cloths and settings for that special someday and died. The kids threw em out... sell skis buy brew equipment.

Back