Future of Corny kegs. Should we all switch to Sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Having-A-Homebrew

Reaction score
So, for the time being there is a ready supply of used Corney kegs. How long will it last? Will we all have to switch to Sankey kegs at some point? If so, what do we do to clean them? Is there anyone who uses Sankey kegs for homebrew today?

I am looking at using a sankey keg. I think I can clean it by turning it upside down and spray water in where the beer comes out. The water should come out thru the co2 opening. Any help in the mater would also rock.

There are a LOT of cornie kegs out there. They are still used by some U.S. soda manufacturers, and they are used for soda overseas. They are still being made.

The total number of sankey kegs is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the number of cornies.

And, I can't get six sankey kegs in my kegerator...

I was at the local pepsi bottling warehouse the other week. They had semi's full of corny kegs. They are still being used fairly commonly. Several places are even refusing to use the new bibs(cardboard box with pop filled bag inside).

The local supplier of cornies in my area get them by the trailer load and I believe the likelyhood of them disappearing anytime soon is quite low.

That being said, I think I will order a few more as back-ups.

Salute! :tank:

It's not like they're paper bags. If you treat them well, they'll last for a really long time.

+1 and the only thing that should wear out on them is the o-rings, which should be available for ever. Of course, you could always just buy $50 worth and then never have to worry! ;)

I imagine my corny's will last my lifetime at least. There will always be O rings. Poppet valves, and plastic connectors (they do wear out) maybe not so much.

I imagine my corny's will last my lifetime at least. There will always be O rings. Poppet valves, and plastic connectors (they do wear out) maybe not so much.

They will still be available as service parts. Even if only homebrewers are using these kegs, that is still enough of a market for someone to make them.

Lets look at it this way.

You can still get parts for Hoff-Stevens kegs and the big brewers started moving to Sanke kegs in the late 70s.

Cornies will be around for a while. :D

I don't care about the stupid rumors of the corney kegs. I use corney kegs right now, and I am not going to stop using them. I have a sankey keg and my goal it to brew a 15 gallon batch and fill the sankey keg.

in general i'm surprised nobody has come up with an easier way of removing and inserting the dip tube to sankes for homebrewers...

after you get a knack for it it takes less than 30 seconds to remove and 30 to put back.

Since I cut two big holes in the top of my Sankes, I'm not sure about putting it back, but I can definitely attest to the fact that dip tube removal is insanely simple.

Latest posts

Back