DIY solution for tap locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Will be putting in a 4 tap fridge very soon. Yet I know my 3 year old will pull the taps all the time. Instead of spending $40/each for those locking things, has anyone come up with a DIY approach?

Don't need it to lock, just something to prevent one from pulling the tap without undoing something that a 3 year old would have trouble figuring out.

Thanks all.

How about some kind of bar that swivels down in front of the top of the tap handles? To pull a tap handle you'd have to lift the bar first (maybe add a magnet to hold it up while you pour). Would be pretty simple to use, but perhaps JUST tricky enough to deter a kid? If not, perhaps some kind of lock or simple release mechanism to lift the bar?

Why not get a ball valve for inside the keggerator just before the posts? Then you could just turn them off when not in use and quickly jump in and turn it on for a quick pour and turn off when not needed. Then the kid could open the taps all he/she wants - nothing would come out unless you forget to turn it off.

homebrewer_99 said:
Duh, remove the Quick Disconnects from the kegs and lock the fridge...;)

+1. I can't lock my Keezer but I have also been know to disconnect the gas, remove the disconnects when on extended vacation and having a house sitter, and pull the faucets.

I don't mind having the sitter drink beer but, I once came back to find my only keg empty.

As for my boy and his curiosity. Disconnecting the liquid line works.

Well having taps on the outside gets defeated if I have to open the fridge and connect lines each time. Might as well just put cobra taps inside the fridge then. I like the electric idea. couple 1000 volts would be perfect.

ghart999 said:
Well having taps on the outside gets defeated if I have to open the fridge and connect lines each time. Might as well just put cobra taps inside the fridge then. I like the electric idea. couple 1000 volts would be perfect.
Well, if that won't work for you then I'd go for the suggestion to get rid of the kids...:D ;)

I'm going to the bahamas in two weeks and I was thinking on if I should lock or disconnect my taps..I have a couple of sons that aren't going with us this time..Yikes!!!

If my father has my setup he would have had to brick the doorway when I was my sons age...I still would've probably got in and had a major bash..I'll deal with my parents when they come home..:D

You know those shock collars they make for small dogs.......:D

How about a loop of string over the tap handle from behind. you could lift the string over the top of the handle to pour and then slip it back on, preventing the handle from moving forward. Cheap and easy.

How about a key box? Cut a hole in the back and screw it to the door over the taps. You can get them both key lock and non-locking latches.

Not an elegant solution but do-able and cheap I think, assuming you are doing a collared keezer.

Get a really thin washer but wide, like 1" to 1-1/2".

Drill out the center wide enough for the tap hanlde screw to fit through and drill another hole near an edge.

Also get some of those cheap hook and eylet latches. The eyelet goes into the collar. The tricky part is to figure a way to attach the hook to the really thin washer.

My off the hip concept is that the handle will lock the washer into place. To lock the faucet, you latch the hook through the eyelet.

Thus, 3 years can tug away all they want at the tap and nothing gives. At until they learn to unlatch the hook, which will happen the first time the see "DahDah" do it. As 3 year olds do.

Oops. Missed the fridge part of "4 tap fridge". So, you;d also have to figure a way to attach the eyelet too. OR, if you are going to convert the fridge yourself, why not just mount the faucets high? Like chest Height or something.

Good suggestions everyone. The hihest point I can mount it is still short enough for the kid to get to them. If I could've only found a freezer on the bottom fridge. But no luck at all.

Maybe you could find some chain links that are the right size for your taps. Just unscrew the handle, slip it over the tap and handle (might lose a spot of beer there) and screw the handle back on. You'd be doing a lot of screwing/unscrewing, but, hey, that's what got you into this mess in the first place.

~M~

You know I think I will just go with a wireless camera to my server. I would love to catch one in the act. Does that make me a bad person, looking for evil people?:ban:

What about regular ol' cabinet safety locks?

Med-cab-lock-02.jpg

or why not just get a straight bar to go in front of the tap handles with chain lengths on each end that you could hook or lock onto something behind the taps...

or why not just get a straight bar to go in front of the tap handles with chain lengths on each end that you could hook or lock onto something behind the taps...

Yeah I have thought about this idea quite a bit. I'm thinking I could even make it out of wood, stained and all. After all if someone breaks this , we've got bigger issues.

I've already got the keezer lid padlocked. My keezer is outside on back patio, I dont think anyone could lift it with 5 kegs in it. But who knows. I just dont want any of the neighborhood kids getting ideas, not to mention the trouble they could get into.

without undoing something that a 3 year old would have trouble figuring out.

Thanks all.

Herein lies the unsurmountable problem. 3 year olds can figure out ANYTHING!

It's the adults that have the problems with the childproof lighters, pill bottles, cabinet latches, etc....

I'd just build a wooden box that can slip over all the taps. The bottom side would be open and you can add one of these screw in thread thingys (Screws into wood, but has thraeds on the other end), you can use wing nuts to secure the bottom board.

You could even just do that with one board or piece of metal. Put two bolts through your fridge and again use your wingnuts to secure your wood or bar to the taps, so they can't be pulled forward.

I'm not worried bout my kids, they have respect, but come on. I know wut I was like when I was 13. If i could see a kegerator from my backyard, I would be tempted.

How about building like a box around the taps with a sliding or hinged doors that could then be child proofed like cabinets?

Rough Sketchup
The translucent is glass so you can see the taps. You could just do a swign down wooden cover with child proof lock.

FridgeBox.jpg

here was my idea for mine, mount a larger elctrical box on the front, the kind with a door that locks, paint it to match the fridge. then you could close the door and lock it. I have also seen lockable key cabinets that have the same general idea. then you could mount your taps in there. It would also serve as a built in drip tray.

Will be putting in a 4 tap fridge very soon. Yet I know my 3 year old will pull the taps all the time. Instead of spending $40/each for those locking things, has anyone come up with a DIY approach?

Don't need it to lock, just something to prevent one from pulling the tap without undoing something that a 3 year old would have trouble figuring out.

Thanks all.

I'm not worried bout my kids, they have respect, but come on. I know wut I was like when I was 13. If i could see a kegerator from my backyard, I would be tempted.
How did this get turned into your thread? i think that where some confusion is coming from. it started out as a request to proof it from a 3 year old. Now you're hijacking to proof it from the neighborhood.

Back