pressure fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodog51

Reaction score
hopefully this is the right topic line for this .....

i read an interesting thread on the concept in this forum on pressure fermenting, and decided to use it during the secondary phase.
i'm hooked! this batch was pitched in a carboy. when the air lock slowed to one bubble @ minute i racked into a keg added 1/4 cup of beet sugar and attached the spunge valve. pressure built to blow off setting (approx 40psig)
this arrangement sat for a week and today after bleeding off the pressures the gauge showed no more build up. transfered into the cooler cranked down to 34' for 12 hours....just tapped my first glass. very little sediment and the carbonization is amazing, almost nitrogen like with the cascading rolling effect after each sip. very smooth.
this was the batch of my first small BIAB wit bier very pleased!

GD51:mug:

Did you use a corny keg? How did you seal it after you racked? where did you get the spung valve and how did you attach it? I am very interested.

There are a few threads on HBT about building a spunding valve- you'll have better luck searching that than spung valve. And yes, you need to ferment in a keg (corney or sankey) because the fermentor needs to be able to hold pressure.

Yeah I am a strong believer in pressure fermentation after seeing my father in laws set up. He started using cornys for smaller and split batches and uses some custom made stainless spunding valves; he sets his at 1bar (14.5 psi). He brought me a sweet stainless spunding valve that is compatible with cornys when he came to visit a few weeks ago. I'll throw up some pics soon.

Did you use a corny keg? How did you seal it after you racked? where did you get the spung valve and how did you attach it? I am very interested.

yes a corny keg was used.

i purged the keg with C02, this removes oxygen from the keg. then after racking from carboy the lid was placed into place without flipping the handle.
as pressure is added to keg the lid will seal finding it's sweet spot, then flip the handle on top. purge the C02 and add about 5 lbs pressure. attach spunge valve.

you can purchase spunge valves from brew supply shops. some come with automatic pressure release valves others are just a ball valve connector with a gauge attached and manual release valve...in this case check the guage once a day.

i picked up a preset brass pressure release valve at a local surplus store ...about $2.50.

attachment was by ball connector on the gas side.

i'm very happy with the out come with using a keg as a secondary. the beer is carboned and you don't have to rack to another keg to serve.

hope this helped....

GD51:mug:

Back