Harvesting an All Brett L.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandelf

Reaction score
I plan on doing it later this week. I have done ale yeast for years; would it be the same process for Bret yeast? I know Chad Y. does not recommend putting a Brett starter in the frig. So, there it is.

I do the same as a Sacc strain with a twist. I immediately will make a 100g to 1L starter with a bit of oak and dump the harvested yeast on top and store it in my basement (60-65F). I then make a fresh wort batch (same ratio of DME to water) right before I pitch it into a fresh batch of beer. I have built this starter up to four generations and had great success. My guild (Wyoming Brewers Guild) finally took the entire bit of this starter and pitched it into what will become a Coconut Chai stout destined to be a firkin. I can't wait to try it out in about three months.

Hmm, I emailed Chad Y. yesterday, bu he is a very busy man. For now, I plan on harvesting the Bret L. and then storing it at 60 F until I hear otherwise. Feeding it before the pitch sounds good.

Yeah it's GABF and his new brewery is in Denver so I wouldn't expect a response for a while.

Why are you putting the starter in the fridge? Just to cold crash it? It should be ok cold crashing. I seem to remember his comments were about storing yeast in the fridge but I might be wrong.

From what I've read Brett stores better at ambient rather then fridge temps for long term
I keep mine on the counter and it works well

i havent tried storing it at room temp, but ive had no problems storing washed brett in the fridge

I store mine in the fridge. Also have some in the freezer. What is the issue with cold storage?

I'm not sure what the issue is with storing Brett at frig temps? From reading Chad Yakobson's material and an email, he states
not to put a Brett starter in the frig. I emailed him recently and asked if that also applied to harvested Brett yeast? I'm sure it
will be some time before I hear back (GABF).

Back