Wohooo did my first Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wings9191

Reaction score
Just a basic batch with McCormicks, the yeast version.
Figured to get my feet wet.
Looking forward to sampling it and going on to the next one.
I'll do it up right next time and get the right ingredients.
But it was was a good time and the family was getting interested.
Firstround.jpg

Sorry, I'm really excited to finally get this done hehe

Yes that will be down the road :)
But baby steps for now.
Any suggestions on places to pick up ingredients? (Your preference)
Having a hard time finding champagne yeast around here.

Not really I made a pretty big buy off of takeherb.com for my herbs but will probably look around for other options next purchase as I wasn't too happy with the experience. As for champagne yeast... I would think an online brewer or LHBS would be your best bet.

I've heard bread yeast leaves an after taste, I think you get used to it. My friend only uses bread yeast for root beer. I tried champagne yeast for ginger ale and blue berry soda But I Like wine yeast better, doesn't seem to be as aggressive.

Is champagne yeast preferred?

That's just what I've seen alot of people post that they use for the limited aftertaste.

I've heard bread yeast leaves an after taste, I think you get used to it. My friend only uses bread yeast for root beer. I tried champagne yeast for ginger ale and blue berry soda But I Like wine yeast better, doesn't seem to be as aggressive.

I actually want to get into other flavors Root Beer just seemed the easiest at the moment.
How is the wine aftertaste of the yeast?
And being not so aggressive how long do you ferment it for then?

I think you can taste it some in the ginger ale but you can't taste it at all in the blueberry. I bottle the sodas and let them set out for about 48 hours before I refrigerate. I use the flip top bottles and slightly open them to release pressure twice a day while they are sitting out. I'm paranoid of them breaking because of too much pressure. Seems like the blueberry builds up pressure faster than the ginger ale.

I think you can taste it some in the ginger ale but you can't taste it at all in the blueberry. I bottle the sodas and let them set out for about 48 hours before I refrigerate. I use the flip top bottles and slightly open them to release pressure twice a day while they are sitting out. I'm paranoid of them breaking because of too much pressure. Seems like the blueberry builds up pressure faster than the ginger ale.

Nice I will keep that in mind.
There is nothing like pop out of a glass bottle.

Ok question, I just went and check out my bottles for the ten millionth time today.
This time I turned it over and noticed the yeast(I assume) on the bottom of the bottle.
Should i be rotating these once a day?

Ok question, I just went and check out my bottles for the ten millionth time today.
This time I turned it over and noticed the yeast(I assume) on the bottom of the bottle.
Should i be rotating these once a day?

Not really, only if you're making champagne. They rotate champagne bottles to get that yeast sediment to the neck of the bottle, then they freeze champagne in the neck and take out the sediment.

Couple bottles are getting hard.
Should i throw one in the fridge?
And i've been reading leave it chill for a couple days?

Ummm couldn't wait and opened one.
Ummmmmmmm wow it's flat.
I thought there would be some carb in it but nothing.

wings9191 said:
Ummm couldn't wait and opened one.
Ummmmmmmm wow it's flat.
I thought there would be some carb in it but nothing.

I have 4 gallons brewing in large plastic bottles and they have been sitting about a week and don't seem to be getting carbonation either? What's up?

I used Flechmann or whatever baking yeast that is for my first batch.
I bought some Lalvin EC-1118 today to try in the second batch.
I'm thinking my problem was something with the yeast.
I didn't get the temp up enough, didn't dissolve it enough something along those lines.
I know it should have a yeasty smell to it or even a taste......... but when i opened a bottle it stunk up the kitchen. Smell to me like bad well water.(being a city boy of course)
Also bought all the right equipment today :rockin:

Back