Calling and Central FL Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone want to take a trip over to Brooksville (North of Tampa) and teach me how to brew all grain??

I have gotten the equipment, kits, and all the stuff to brew, but I am severly lacking the knowledge and courage, and possibly a spine :D

Josh

Hey Josh,

I would love to join in. I am not that confident in my technique to teach. Maybe once I get a few more brews under my belt I could.

I can share what I know.

There is a few pre-brew numbers you need to come up with.

1. You need to determine what the dead space in your kettle and tun will be. This will be mash or wort that cant be used because they will be left after draining. You can determine this easy enough before you brew with water.
2. You need to add additional water to make up for grain absorption. Beersmith does this for me. I am pretty sure you can get beersmith free for a trial period at beersmith.com.
3. You need to come up with the temperature of your strike water will be to have the mash at the proper temp. At this point it will be an estimate. Maybe someone here can chime in with a better way.
4. Most importantly NO WORRIES it is just beer and more than likely you will love your first batch. I know I did!
Cheers!!!
Chris

It's not that hard anyway. Don't let all grain intimidate you. All you are doing is letting the grains sit in hot water for an hour, then adding more hot water and draining it out a few times.

Read Edwort's recipe for Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. That's a good all grain to start with and he has some good instructions on there as well.

I like to use a little more grain than Edwort (11 pounds base plus whatever specialty grains to make 6 gallons) but I do all my AG based on what I learned brewing Ed's Haus.

There really is no right or wrong way to do it. There are only different techniques.

Thanks Guys,
I am using Beersmith. I have one of thier "equipment" profiles, so it has calculated the dead space.
I am just nervous. Doesnt look like I will be able to brew this weekend anyway.
My wort chiller wont show until Monday, and will be flying for the next 3 weeks dropping para-troopers.

Oh well, it never rains but pours.

Josh

The thought had crossed my mind to try and hook up with someone else.
Here is why I thought having someone come over, would be better
1) I could see how to brew specifically with my equipment.
2) My SWMBO, could see what I have been spending money on.
3) If someone is experienced there helping me, It limits the possibilities ofsomething bad happening that would have my SWMBO questioning my financial decisions on all this stuff that I bought.
4) If work calls I am only 10 minutes away, vs almost 2 hours away.
The last one is critical, due to the fact that I need to be on call this weekend since the Unit that we are supporting for the next 3 weeks will be arriving.

So, brewing this Sat is probably out anyways, since my wort chiller will not be here until Mon afternoon.

But I DEFINATELY appreciate the invite, and might take you up on it, to see differences between brewing styles, if there are any, at least look at different techniques.
Josh

Sherpa FE said:
The thought had crossed my mind to try and hook up with someone else.
Here is why I thought having someone come over, would be better
1) I could see how to brew specifically with my equipment.
2) My SWMBO, could see what I have been spending money on.
3) If someone is experienced there helping me, It limits the possibilities ofsomething bad happening that would have my SWMBO questioning my financial decisions on all this stuff that I bought.
4) If work calls I am only 10 minutes away, vs almost 2 hours away.
The last one is critical, due to the fact that I need to be on call this weekend since the Unit that we are supporting for the next 3 weeks will be arriving.

So, brewing this Sat is probably out anyways, since my wort chiller will not be here until Mon afternoon.

But I DEFINATELY appreciate the invite, and might take you up on it, to see differences between brewing styles, if there are any, at least look at different techniques.
Josh

I'd love to be able to help yah but I havent even AGed myself yet... If work spontaneously calls you better brew on a day you know you have off. Kind of hard to stop in the middle of a brew.

I have not yet AG'ed either but would be open to a weekend roadtrip in the near future for a meeting of the minds. I've done 18 combined steeped/extract and PM sessions and would like the experience and info that this might bring forth. I'd be willing to travel for the good of Florida's brewing population - with samples of course :} - Brooksville is 45 minutes up the Vet for me.

ive been doing AG for about 2 years now, not to say i know everything but you can see how i go about things and apply your own style to it.

this weekend doesnt work well for me either but we can get together and figure something out if you guys are interested.

I have never done AG, but I am well schooled in mistakes and I can screw up faster than anything. :D

I am all for doing a group brew, at least get together and drink while we are brewing. I am always up for learning new stuff.

I will just be very busy for the next 3 weeks, flying with the Army and all, dropping people out of the back.

I will have a couple of days of though during the end of the upcoming week, so I will try and brew then.
Later,
Josh

All my stuff came in early, any one want to come over tomorrow and brew?? LOL

Can you believe it, when was the last time UPS was EARLY on a delivery..LOL

Josh

Liquid, but I can put them on a warm burner and it should be ready in a day anda half

That came out way wrong.
I mean put it in a warm place, which would get the pack going quicker.

sorry I edited the last post... You will need a starter if it is a Propagator pack. If it is a Activator pack it would be better to do a starter but you can get away without one. Especially if you don't have any DME (Dry Malt Extract).

Latest posts

Back