Quick Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdburkhart

Reaction score
I am currently have a chocolate coffee stout in my carboy from brewing on 5 January, and visible signs of fermentation have stopped. When I try take a reading, it gets way to foamy/heady in the thief to see the top of my hydrometer. Tasting it, you can certainly feel the carbonation in your mouth.

My primary fermentation was so violent I had to split the beer between my primary and my secondary, since I was foaming/spraying out of the airlock, and then I recombined a few days later, waited a week and transferred it all to my secondary (with come coco powder and simple syrup). That was about 2 weeks ago.

Currently there is very little to no foam or bubbles on top and on tasting it: it starts sweet and ends bitter (in a good way)

Is this just a case of wait or is there anything I should do?

I have brewed a similar recipe, which I over-carbonated, so I really want to avoid that with this one...

Do you have a hygrometer? Did you take an Original Gravity after boiling and chilling your wort?

I do porters - they're related to stouts. They tend to take a little longer. With you using carboys you should be able o safely secondary for a very long time.

My own personal problem is being patient. I want to bottle and drink it ASAP.

Did you have explosive fermentation resulting in airborne glass shards and a beer/foam solution to clean up in your cabinet? Place your bottles into a Rubbermaid bucket with a lid. It makes clean-up easier.

Opps, thought I posted my starting gravity. It was around 1.072, when I transferred it was around 1.02.

When I made this awhile ago, nothing was explosive. When you popped the top off a bottle, you would get foam pouring out of the bottle.

No, on the primary I just had foam overflow.

Could you take another hydrometer reading and see where it's at? Often my sample will foam up from thief to sample tube, but you could wait for the foam to die down or press your finger along the side of the tube to get rid of the foam.

Quick question though- why add the simple syrup in secondary? My understanding is that the yeast would rip through those sugars and dry out the beer while adding some alcohol. I doubt it would attribute much more carbonation since you have an airlock on the carboy, unlike a sealed container like a capped bottle or keg. If you're concerned about the carbonation, I've gotten some good results using Northern Brewers priming sugar calculator:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I will have to try pressing my finger to side of tube. Never really thought off doing that.

I was honestly playing around with coco powder and seeing what would happen if added about a half cup corn suger to the coco slurry.

Back