Lagering a Kolsch, can I raise the temp of my freezer to ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Been lagering a Kolsch for a few weeks now and it isn't quite dropped clear yet (White Labs German Ale/Kolsch) but I want to do a Cream Stout next Sunday. Can I raise my Kolsch temperature up to around 70 degrees without any ill effect? I don't want to bottle it just yet either though so I can't move it out before the brew.

Oh dear!!! Nah dude, you've got a couple things slightly off here.

First of all kolsch is an ale style and doesn't need to be lagered... especially since you're using ale yeast.

Secondly, you definitely don't want to see your fermentation chamber to 70*F. During the height of fermentation the actually liquid temperature could be as high as 80*F... I usually get a 5*F spike but I've heard higher from others. Temperatures that high have a tendency to throw off-flavors that can interrupt otherwise delicious and prominent malt or hop flavors. You should consider setting it to 60*F instead.

Sorry but some of us actually like esters that certain English yeast throw instead of trying to make everything a pseudo lager and ferment at 60 degrees.

BJCP Kolsch

"Fermented at cool ale temperatures (59-65?F) and lagered for at least a month, although many Cologne brewers ferment at 70?F and lager for no more than two weeks."

My question was I want to raise the temp up to 70ish to do an ale but my Kolsch isn't done dropping clear. Will raising it up to 70 cause it any harm for a few weeks or should I just bottle it and let it finish clearing by lagering in the bottle?

If its still in the primary the yeast might get active again? I just brewed a Kolsh this weekend and will also lager it.

Nothing bad will happen to the kolsch. It might set you back a few more days when you go back to lagering it, but the warmer temp may actually speed along the aging process. It'll be fine.

With Kolsch yeast you do want to lager for a little bit. 70 degrees is ok to warm it up, but even just leaving outside of the fermentation chamber at room temperature will be sufficient. It's ok to do that since fermentation is already complete (not a whole lot more that's going to get fermented), and because any sulfer flavors will be wafted away by CO2 that is escaping from solution.

Latest posts

Back