Chili and Lime mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulpfiction32

Reaction score
Here is my idea, Critizism welcome.

Im going to make a mead and i was thinking of using a dried chili pepper in the secondary i was also think of adding lime zest and juice. 3# of clover honey. I know some people have made a habenro mead But im think that a dried or smoked pepper would have a better flavor what do you knuckleheads think Baba Boey

I'm by no means a mead expert, but I'd be concerned about sanitizing the pepper. Would you spray it with StarSan or just throw it in and hope the alcohol kills everything? Sounds pretty tasty though.

Meh.

Using the dry, chili pepper in the secondary, most likely won't require sanitation because the alcohol content in the mead is high enough that it will kill any bacteria on the pepper.

If you are really concerned about it, I suppose you could freeze it overnight and then defrost. I do that with fruit I add to my brews.

I like some spicy and damm hot food, but I would never have thought of putting peppers in a mead.
OK, letting this sink in, smoky flavor would be nice..... It's going to take a long while.
Best of luck.

Back