Lemonade Mead problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmprnkl

Reaction score
So, I started a batch of sweet leomande mead; sugar, lemon juice, honey, and I pitched some US-05. After preliminary bubbling and foaming, theeast stopped. I'm worried there's too much citric acid, can I save my batch or is it shot? I tried potching more yeast - in case the oter packet was dd or the wort was too warm.

Have you taken gravity readings? Is the fermentation done and you think it is too acidic to taste or is the yeast stalled? Get a ph tester and if bellow 3.4 then add a tsp of potassium bicarbonate. Whip it up good and wait 48 hours. If no restart then test ph again and repeat till ph is at about 3.4

Oh, thefoaming lasted about 5 minutes. The fermentation def. stalled; I will have to tests the Ph.

I uderstand potassium bicarbonate and baking soda are chemically similar; in a pinch, would it be okay to use baking soda to correct the ph in lieu of the potassium bicarbonate, or would the sodium ruin the flavor?

The baking soda will raise the ph the way you want but using that you run the risk of making your drink tast salty. In a pinch "figuratively and literally haha", you could use it to save a must but I would try and stay away from it.

Thanks all; I hadnt been able to get potassium bicarbonate / PH testing strips until today... Suddenly this afternoon, it's bubbling away...

That could still mean there was a PH issue. As fermentation goes you get dissolved CO2 stuck in the must. Or also known as Carbonic Acid. After time sitting with little to no fermentation it may have degassed lowering the carbonic acid level and raising PF level a point or two. Just watch it and it would not hurt to give the carboy light swirl a couple times a day for the next few days to help the CO2 break free.

Back