I added heavy cream to my wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this beer turn out?

• Move aside Sam Adams theres a new beer in town!

• Strange, not objectionable, what the heck am I drinking?

• Well its not harmful, maybe the frat house down the street wants it.

• Cheese-beer induced food poisoning

Results are only viewable after voting.
Keyes88 said:
Screw it, I'm doing this. I'm down to make a 2.5 gallon batch of this on Sunday or Monday. So far we know he used a half gallon of heavy cream that boiled for 45 min. He also had a base recipe of 7lbs light malt extract, used cascade hops and light roasted barley. Plus he mentions 8 lbs of bananas foster...did he just mean bananas? I saw he wanted to add brown sugar...maybe some cinnamon?

Anyone want to help me on this?

I added a few pounds more sliced bananas to a cheese cloth and dropped it in the primary, along with a pound of lactose and a packet of champagne yeast in case the ale yeast is not able to raise the alcohol content to the desired 12-13%. To get everything jiving again, I added some more molasses and spices when I boiled up the lactose.

Good on you! Thanks.I would make sure you are supervised while trying this... fugue state hangover style is what I imagine after sipping this...

He mentioned 20 oz dried banana and 2 lbs of dark brown sugar after primary. He also said "some spices"

What spices do you think other then cinnamon? Bananas Foster has brown sugar, cinnamon and rum for other flavors. Should I add some rum to this at some point?

I think it just has cinnamon for spice. I'd suggest some Myers Dark Rum. In college my roommate liked to cook with that and it always added a nice flavor.

What spices do you think other then cinnamon? Bananas Foster has brown sugar, cinnamon and rum for other flavors. Should I add some rum to this at some point?

He said cinnamon and spice at one point... not sure what else was added.
I would add rum. With all the other additions what could it hurt? :rockin: Good luck.

Somebody should check the Lynchburg, VA local obituaries starting with the day he disappeared for a guy who died drinking his own cheese beer.

Molasses or Brown sugar will give the rum notes when fermented. I use allspice and nutmeg in my bananas foster. Not sure about the amount of bananas he was putting in though. He also seemed to imply he was going for an ice cream like flavor. Best of luck to the intrepid soul who duplicates this.

Molasses or Brown sugar will give the rum notes when fermented. I use allspice and nutmeg in my bananas foster. Not sure about the amount of bananas he was putting in though. He also seemed to imply he was going for an ice cream like flavor. Best of luck to the intrepid soul who duplicates this.

I think you guys are thinking about this like brewers. You gotta think like a noob. It sounded to me like he had some bananas foster laying around (I think he said 8 lbs?) and he dumped it into his wort with cream.

So heres what I would do if I were you:

1) Find a good bananas foster recipe (Heres one) and make it as directed.

2) Slap it in your wort with some cream and do all that other crazy **** he did.

Let's clean this up:

Heavy Cream Fosters

OG: 1.084
Type: Extract
FG: 1.021
ABV: 8.25 %
Calories: 274
IBU's: 44.16
Boil Size: 3.22 Gal
Color: 7.0 SRM
Batch Size: 2.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.078
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
5.00 lbs 90.91 % Light DME 60 mins 1.046
0.50 lbs 9.09 % Brown Sugar, Light 60 mins 1.046

Hops
1.50 ozs 44.16 Cascade 60 mins

Yeasts
2.00 pkg Safale US-05

Additions
0.50 tsp Cinnamon Powder 15 mins
1.50 tsp Vanilla 15 mind
3.00 each Bananas 15 mins (more?)
1/2 Gallon Heavy Cream added @ 45min

Let's clean this up:

Heavy Cream Fosters

OG: 1.084
Type: Extract
FG: 1.021
ABV: 8.25 %
Calories: 274
IBU's: 44.16
Boil Size: 3.22 Gal
Color: 7.0 SRM
Batch Size: 2.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.078
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
5.00 lbs 90.91 % Light DME 60 mins 1.046
0.50 lbs 9.09 % Brown Sugar, Light 60 mins 1.046

Hops
1.50 ozs 44.16 Cascade 60 mins

Yeasts
2.00 pkg Safale US-05

Additions
0.50 tsp Cinnamon Powder 15 mins
1.50 tsp Vanilla 15 mind
3.00 each Bananas 15 mins (more?)

Damn you! I was right in the middle of doing this. I have some changes though. This is what I got using exactly what he said as he went along.

Grains & Adjuncts
7.00 lbs 87 % Light DME 60 mins 1.046
1.00 lbs 13 % Lightly roasted Barley* 60 mins 1.046

Hops
1.00 ozs Cascade** 60 mins

Yeasts
1.00 pkg Safale US-05***
1.00 pkg Champagne Yeast - Added after 10 days in primary

Additions
8.00 lbs Bananas foster**** 45 mins

Primary
20 oz Dried Bananas 4 days
2 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark 4 days
Unknown Spices***** 4 days
3 lbs Bananas (in a cheese cloth) 10 days
1 lbs Lactose 10 days
Unknown Spices***** 10 days

Transfer to secondary after 14 days - as far as i can tell , he didn't do anything to it in secondary

Bottle after 21 days - he bottled with 40% more priming sugar (40% more than what? I don't know). Not recommended.

* He doesn't give anything more specific than "lightly roasted barley". This is probably steeped. I suspect he may have roasted his own because one of the only posts he has on this site that isn't this thread is helping someone who was trying to roast barley in their toaster oven.

** He doesn't specify an amount of cascade. I don't think it matters that much. You aren't going to be tasting hops.

*** He didn't specify type of yeast. Its anyone's guess, but US-05 is pretty popular among us new brewers...

**** It sounded to me like he had pre-made bananas foster beforehand. Just make 8 lbs of banana foster and put it in.

***** He only ever said "spices". Anyones guess. I suspect cinnamon was a main one.

Good luck to whoever makes this monster. :mug:

Keep in mind he was shooting for 12-13% abv. He would just keep adding things till it got there I imagine.

DoneHam said:
Damn you! I was right in the middle of doing this. I have some changes though. This is what I got using exactly what he said as he went along.

Grains & Adjuncts
7.00 lbs 87 % Light DME 60 mins 1.046
1.00 lbs 13 % Lightly roasted Barley* 60 mins 1.046

Hops
1.00 ozs Cascade** 60 mins

Yeasts
1.00 pkg Safale US-05***
1.00 pkg Champagne Yeast - Added after 10 days in primary

Additions

Primary
20 oz Dried Bananas 4 days
2 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark 4 days
Unknown Spices***** 4 days
3 lbs Bananas (in a cheese cloth) 10 days
1 lbs Lactose 10 days
Unknown Spices***** 10 days

Transfer to secondary after 14 days - as far as i can tell , he didn't do anything to it in secondary

Bottle after 21 days - he bottled with 40% more priming sugar (40% more than what? I don't know). Not recommended.

* He doesn't give anything more specific than "lightly roasted barley". This is probably steeped. I suspect he may have roasted his own because one of the only posts he has on this site that isn't this thread is helping someone who was trying to roast barley in their toaster oven.

** He doesn't specify an amount of cascade. I don't think it matters that much. You aren't going to be tasting hops.

*** He didn't specify type of yeast. Its anyone's guess, but US-05 is pretty popular among us new brewers...

**** It sounded to me like he had pre-made bananas foster beforehand. Just make 8 lbs of banana foster and put it in.

***** He only ever said "spices". Anyones guess. I suspect cinnamon was a main one.

If I remember without looking back he added more bananas in secondary and I don't think they were dry. Looked like mush pig feed lol

I ve just found a picture of the OP. Something terrible happend to him...

banana2-554x1024.jpg

DoneHam said:
Additions

The 40% was 40% more than the standar 1 oz of corn sugar per gallon. I think the bananas foster addition might be messy but it sounds like a good idea although I would leave the bananas out at that point and just add the saucy stuff. Spices should be allspice and nutmeg as well as cinnamon. Alton Brown on the food network has a wonderful recipe and he calls for these spices.

I would leave the bananas out at that point and just add the saucy stuff

Thats a good point actually. I remember during the second time I read through this (I lead a very sad life) him saying that the bananas in the boil did not impart much flavor.

I was basically just trying to format his insanity into a nice readable recipe.

Alton Brown on the food network has a wonderful recipe and he calls for these spices.

I. Love. Alton Brown.

If this guy has dissappeared I'm calling bulls*** on this whole thing.

The original poster has been gone for at least 2 weeks now. Why do we keep this stupid thread alive? Unless someone else makes this beer and lives to tell about it, I second the motion for calling BS and shutting this insanity off. :drunk:

This thread has made me think about doing a bananas foster beer without the cheese. If so I will post the recipe here along with any pics I take. The OP may have left us hanging but we can take this madness and turn it into genius.

Screw this clown. One of you guys that knows what you're doing should make it for real. I don't have enough expierience to try it. I say he never made it. Once again. Bullsh**.

petie said:
Screw this clown. One of you guys that knows what you're doing should make it for real. I don't have enough expierience to try it. I say he never made it. Once again. Bullsh**.

Somebody has done a bananas foster recipe with success search this thread there is a link to it

I ve just found a picture of the OP. Something terrible happend to him...

I think this is actually him. Or this was his inspiration and he listened to this while "brewing." The ending is actually a real life depiction of what happened after he tasted this "beverage."

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY[/ame]

So I was thinking this over....

Why am i copying someone who has only two batches? All we care about is heavy cream. I'm thinking of doing an imperial milk stout with no lactose in it. I'm going to use heavy cream in its place.

Thoughts?

Keyes88 said:
So I was thinking this over....

Why am i copying someone who has only two batches? All we care about is heavy cream. I'm thinking of doing an imperial milk stout with no lactose in it. I'm going to use heavy cream in its place.

Thoughts?

I like it. Just don't go to overboard with batch size and grain bill. We know this is going to be some real azz :p

I think this is actually him. Or this was his inspiration and he listened to this while "brewing." The ending is actually a real life depiction of what happened after he tasted this "beverage."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

.... aside from the fact that we were trolled by the OP, i cant f*cking believe i sat through that whole f^cking song... How does one UNwatch a youtube video?

P.S. unsubscribed.

cl330b said:
.... aside from the fact that we were trolled by the OP, i cant f*cking believe i sat through that whole f^cking song... How does one UNwatch a youtube video?

P.S. unsubscribed.

Tosh.0 will do that to you.

Here is a thought,
aseptic packaging; like creamer, some milk products, etc.. might be worth some research. be dangerous as hell if not done right however.

sorry for the long delay in posting. I was in a car accident and did not have to use of either of my arms. I am back to normal now, in any case the beer! it was fantastic for a long time. However after approximately 3 to 4 weeks it became rancid and sour. it is important to note that I did no t have to refrigerate it for a long time before I experienced negitive side effects. I call it a success, it was great while lasted and might do it agian some time, but ill drink it all fast next time.

Its like i just read a mystery novel! There was so much build up to the climax, and then right when the climax hit the main character just disappeared with no sign of what happened (except for a few obvious clues here, lol). No one knew what happened or if he would ever come back, and then right when all hope was lost! SHAZAM! hes back(with little to no explanations, just to keep up guessing even more)!! lol

I guess you can't go so over the top that people here won't still believe you.

I guess I should have known that after the porkfelwine thread.

Thank god he's ok. And can proceed with another batch of this yellow love. And finally have the utube tasting to silence the non-believers........

Back