Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, that bmud0314. What a farking polack.

Oh, crap. Thats me. I jumped the gun and was a bit too early. And yes, thats what my wife said.

No worries :)

Or I can just give you cash when you pick up your grain - no need for silly charges!

Invoice is in!

I emailed all you guys the payment info - once you have paid post back here or PM me so I can note it.

Here are the final totals (including the extra service charge we hadn't anticipated for delivering to a residence):

CidahMastah $276.67
El Exorcisto $98.24
Rustbucket $116.21* = echeck, clears in 3-5 days
bierhaus15 $114.33
stunsm $72.54
Ravio11i $51.65
FarmerJoe $73.10
DannSchuler $72.54
bmud0314 $82.46
Randy $300.10
Jason $203.96
Jim $73.09
Tot $1,534.89

GREEN = PAID

Will put your name down on my sheet Billie - have about 3 other guys + the utica brew club had some more interest. Next time we start it up I will ping you.

67% Paid up

CidahMastah $276.67
El Exorcisto $98.24
Rustbucket $116.21* = echeck, clears in 3-5 days
bierhaus15 $114.33
stunsm $72.54
Ravio11i $51.65
FarmerJoe $73.10
DannSchuler $72.54
bmud0314 $82.46
Randy $300.10
Jason $203.96
Jim $73.09

GREEN = PAID

Hey gents - do your best to get your payments in this weekend. If you have any issues please let me know and I can help work it out. My goal would be to get payments entered by the end of the weekend if possible.

Enjoy clearing that snow - luckily my neighbor has a massy ferguson with the snow blower attachment - he saved my bacon.

92% Paid up

CidahMastah $276.67 - Tansaction completed
El Exorcisto $98.24 - Tansaction completed
bierhaus15 $114.33 - Tansaction completed
stunsm $72.54 - Tansaction completed
Ravio11i $51.65 - Tansaction completed
FarmerJoe $73.10 - Tansaction completed
DannSchuler $72.54 - Tansaction completed
bmud0314 $82.46 - Tansaction completed
Jason $203.96 - Tansaction completed
Jim $73.09 - Tansaction completed
Rustbucket $116.21- Tansaction completed
Randy $300.10

GREEN = PAID

Almost there gents,... Come on Randy bring us home :)
Thanks for being patient guys - I know many of you are chomping at the bit.

Just heard from Randy via Bierhaus - Randy is waiting for his transfer to paypal to clear (supposed to happen today/tomorrow). From there he will have an instant transfer over and our payment will be good to go.

100% Paid up

CidahMastah $276.67 - Tansaction completed
El Exorcisto $98.24 - Tansaction completed
bierhaus15 $114.33 - Tansaction completed
stunsm $72.54 - Tansaction completed
Ravio11i $51.65 - Tansaction completed
FarmerJoe $73.10 - Tansaction completed
DannSchuler $72.54 - Tansaction completed
bmud0314 $82.46 - Tansaction completed
Jason $203.96 - Tansaction completed
Jim $73.09 - Tansaction completed
Rustbucket $116.21- Tansaction completed
Randy $300.10 - Paid, pending confirmation from buyer - E check - (anticipated to clear on 3/3-3/7) -

Based on the eCheck's clearance date we will be looking at an estimated order pick up date of (3/8-3/10)

GREEN = PAID

What next

1. Once the buyer confirms Randy's e-check payment has cleared, he will place the order.
2. I will let you guys know when the payment has fully cleared and when you can come and grab your grain.

Notes:
a. I will be able to store the grain in my insulated (but unheated) garage until people can come to make the pick up (pretty consistent cool temperature in there).
b. On a case by case basis, I may be able to arrange pick up in East Syracuse (only during regular business hours). I can haul the bags into work and meet you at a convenient location (BJ's/staples parking lot) and pass off the bags.

Thanks everyone, not too shabby of a turn around time on this!

Yup, can't wait. I'm looking for my corona mill now. Can't wait to crush some grain for the first time

I use the corona mill as well, been trying to think of how I can motorize it haha. Hand cranking 13 lbs of grain sucked, but it did help burn some calories in prep for the beer drinking!

Look up the "my ugly junk" thread by revvy. You can attach a power drill through the use of a bolt and adapter. There's more info in the thread, I didn't really memorize it because I want to use the hand crank at first lol.

I thought about putting a bolt in there... but then thought... what if the bolt shears off?

That wouldn't be a good thing. But from what I read in that thread nobody has said anything about having that problem, and it seems a lot of those members have been using the power drill technique for a while. I'd recommend reading through the thread, it's VERY long, started back in early 08 I think, but there's a lot of useful information and tips to the corona-style mill. I've been reading it bit by bit for the past week and I'm still not done, but I got a lot of ideas for when I get mine next week.

lol, 3/8 bolt if that is the size, would take a lot to shear. i dont think that you would be putting so much torque on it to do that. so i would not worry.

as for me, i had a machineshop available to me, so i made a roller barley crusher.. lol....

still trying to get it to work properly, but its only been together for about a week now.

aside from that fact, i had to repitch my yeast today cidah. my first starter didnt take off.... so i put some dry yeast on my arrogant bastard today.. hopefully that will take off
had problems yestruday with the whole brew....
~ mash temp was to low, tried numourus times to get it up to temp... so i added another 20 minutes of mash time to compensate for the lower mash temp (prob going to finish much lower than i would like for body)
~ boiled to much ended up with 4 gallons instead of 5.5 (had to add a gallon to get it to the right gravity)
~ yeast didnt do anything... had to repitch with s-05 from Wyeast 1056(washed)

but i hope it turns out well still... besides that my barleywine is taking off like a rocket 2 days still after!

Very cool - sucks about arrogant. Funny, mine was a bit of a "B" to start as well. I ended up tossing in a second jar of washed yeast because 24 hours after no signs of life from my starter - luckily it jumped up and is rolling (WL051).

rustbecucket - Any chance you still have access to that machine shop? Would love to get my hands on some rollers for a home made barley crusher. I just am too cheap right now to go for a new one.

I guess that I saw how powerful my drill was when I built my climbing gym in my garage. I sheared a few bolts there. The screw isn't 3/8 though in my mill (if it was I would already have put a drill on it), I think it is more like 1/4''. Either way - I will be automating it somehow :) 13lbs of grain is a PITA, would rather be brewing or having a brew.

I did check out the thread, some real ghetto rigs there ha! Good ideas though, doesn't have to be pretty!

lol, my s-05 is starting to foam on top, so i think that means its starting, i havent used dry yeast in such a long time. in my starter i put two things of wash yeast in it.. and i didnt really take off or what i saw, so i though i would give it 12 hours in the fermenter with teh arrogant bastard (nothing) so i threw in s-05. i hope its good, either way they are both neutral yeast so.. should be find either way.

sorry no more access to machineshop.. it was at school, which i no longer have to go to anymore.

hmm, for the grinder, you could always hook up a small motor with a gear system on it (reduction of like 4:1 or something) saying you can get a motor that spins on the lower side of rpm

A little motor, good idea rustbucket. I've been looking for a fun DIY project, and that sounds like something I want to do. Now what can I take apart and steal the motor from...

I have an 1170rpm motor I use for my apple grinder, but I would have to get a pretty large pulley on it to slow it down enough to be suitable. And mounting the pulley would be a pain, the end part is a rounded tapered triangle.

2 step gear reduction.. haha. just do a 2:1, that will be 585 then another 2:1 you will be at 298 i think that is much lower than a hand drill would be.

once i get my crusher working properly, ill be looking to run it by a motor... <250 rpm

Why not mount the pully on the bolt you would use for driving it with a drill? That would give you a much nicer platform to mount it to than the terrible cast end of a Corona.

Also an idea that might work. I can't wait to get my mill next week after reading about how much you can mess with the things. They're like a cheap, crude piece of cast-iron that you can do just about anything to after you get them to give you a good crush. Seems like a lot of fun, and headaches too, but hopefully more fun

I do have some extra pulleys kicking around too - that might be the way to go if my wimpy cordless can't do it and I want to use my hefty drill. Having it on the belt would take some of the stress off the bolt.

Just ordered mine today. Got it for 30 shipped, wanted to get it a little cheaper, but I was impatient. Can't wait to get it and start messing with it

Yeah mine is actually a victoria and not a corona. But it was an xmas gift "fo-free!"

Yea I think it's Grizzly. I actually ordered a Victoria too. Have you done any modifications to yours Cidah? I've read that since quality control on these things vary from model to model sometimes you'll have to add washers between the wing nut, or change out the cotter pin with a bolt, or sometimes they work just fine after adjusting the plates to the crush you want.

I have only adjusted the plates, but for my BIAB batches, the grind is more efficient than the barley crusher at the LHBS. However, when I buy grain there, I still use the barley crusher, since it has a drill on it.

I haven't modified the mill yet, I wanted to make sure that I got a heavy graded bolt for automating (didn't want to shear it). I am thinking I will probably just run it off an older crappy battery operating drill and a 1/4 or 5/16 heavy graded bolt. But i haven't taken the time to figure out what bolt it is.

The pulley would be cool, but it would be hard to center on a 1/4 inch bolt.

Seeing that thread though, I am thinking about putting a screw in to replace the cotter pin as well.

Ha - (we hijacked our own thread)

The buyer checked in with me yesterday and said still doesn't have the ~$300 cleared from Randy. Hopefully it happens soon!

I figured i was the only one who still didnt own a mill and was buying enough grain to swim in.

I was going to keep that a secret.

I am going to be building one using the two bucket method from the My Ugly Junk thread too. Got the buckets ready, just waiting to find a mill.

I actually committed to buying the grain before I had done my first BIAB batch (our order wasn't a done deal yet but I started the thread). I figured.... I am sick of extract prices. I just have to jump off the cliff. Luckily, the first batch went really well, then we closed up the deal just after I did two more batches!

So, no shame here (8 bags) ha.

Go big or go home right gents?!

Back