Love Temp Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 7.0 cu. ft. (-ish, probably a bit more) from someone on CL. I plan on turning this into a kezzer/fermentation chamber using the collar method. I want to install the love controller found here:http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=402&sPageName=Ordering
My first question might be a no brainer, but I've noticed that the Johnson analog controller has a probe to get the temperature, does the love have the same thing? I couldn't find any pictures with one. My second question is which one of the listed ones do I need. I am not voltage savvy at ALL! It would also be really helpful if someone could let me know if this is a reason price, and a reputable merchant. I'm a skeptic with my credit card information, as I'm sure most of us are. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

STAD

according to the website specs:
SPECIFICATIONS
Probe Range: -58 to 302°F (-50 to 150°C).
Input: 1.5-inch (4 cm) thermistor (1000Ω @ 25°C) with 5-foot
(1.5 m) cable.

Okay well that answers how unobservant I was... Haha.

Would you happen to know which one I should buy and if that's a good deal or not?

i went with the ranco...this one seems like its more for inline applications like cutting a hole in a fridge and inlaying this. I just wallmounted the ranco for a simpler profile because i wanted to stay away from cutting into the fridge.

Well I am planning on building a wood collar for my freezer so I would essentially be cutting into wood, which I am okay with. I want this setup as concentrated and compact as possible because this is going to be a moveable unit. Therefore, mounting anything to a wall is a no go (or at least not desired).

The first thing you need to ask yourself is what application you are going to use this for. If you are going to use it to ferment you need to be sure that the environment it is in (e.g. garage) will not get too cold. You can not regulate a 60-70F fermentation if freezer is in the garage where it drops below your desired fermentation temperature. This will not be a problem if you keep the unit in a heated environment above your desired fermentation temperature.

If you need to raise the temperature in the winter get a dual stage temperature controller. This will activate the freezer when the temperature rises and a heating element (usually a pet heating light or a warming pad) when the temperature falls.

You are going to want to get the 110V model. If you decide you will not need the dual stage capabilities, the love controllers can be had for $49 at cole-parmer.

My temperature in my house is fairly constant, so I will not need to heat in the freezer, I was thinking more along the lines of lagering, where the temperature would be relatively close to keg serving temperature. I don't necessarily wish to ferment and dispense brew concurrently, but the option to have one machine do both would be excellent. Thanks for the link! I will be purchasing this fairly soon.

110 V is what you want for normal plugging it into the wall fridge/freezers.
TS-13010 is the Fahrenheit model, you could choose Celsius if you like, it doesnt really matter.

Second, if your not sure about voltage then wiring might be a cause for concern as well. I'm not trying to scare you away from the Love controller, I have one thats new and I like it, very customizable. But you have to be willing to play with some wires that you connect into the wall. If your not sure about doing that, I think Northern Brewer has a digital temp controller for like 75 or so that is prewired, you just plug it into the wall and the freezer into it, as was already mentioned, cole-palmer sells the love for $50.

If you decide to go with the love controller and run into questions there is another thread but I would be happy to take some pictures and post them with "paint" edits telling exactly what wires do what.

Yunus,

At first glance, it did look difficult and I almost went prewired, but I have been doing my reading and am pretty confident that I can figure this out. Besides, the love controller and a cheap 3-prong extension cord is much cheaper than a prewired controller. Thanks for the help and I will hold you to your word if I need help. Be warned.....!

I purchased the Love TS series, the numbers after the TS desigate, 110/220, and heating/cooling, and Fahrenheit/celcius.
I love mine. It provides a much cleaner install vs the ranco's and johnsons. It is for my keezer. Whe I find another fridge for temp controlled fermentation I'll prolly just get a ranco. There is plenty of help on here for wiring. Just be careful and se the proper meters. I removed teh stock thermostat and wried mine in it's place and it installed nice and flush in place of the stock one with some modding to the mounting plate.

Back