American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, a quick reply from The Man himself :rockin: But my dumb ass decided to go for it anyways. It's already in the carboy and i'm about to start mashing my next brew. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do this one again and compare. Sorry for asking and not listening :p

I don't do a secondary with any of my beers or Apfelwein. They go from primary to keg.

SWEET!!! So i'm not in the s**t's with this one! It'll secondary for a good week, if not more :ban: Even with a bit of sugar left it tasted good. But it's fizzing a bit in the secondary. That's a good sign right? Really looking forward to this one.

I checked my gravity this morning, it's at 1.008. I took a taste of the sample and it was pretty decent. I think I might keg it tonight.

I kegged mine on the 5th and force carbed at 30 until today. I just had to sneak a taste. It still seems to need a little more carbonation and I'm not really getting very much hop flavor yet. It's still pretty damn good for a 12 day old beer thats only been carbed a day and a half.

This one's for you, EdWort! :mug:

Despite my weird super-low SG (I'm convinced now it was a bad measurement), the beer turned out great. I popped the first one open just now and it's already just about carbed at the right level. Carbonated way faster than my last batch.

Crystal-clear too! :)

Thanks for a great recipe.

eds_haus_pale.jpg

yes please :D I'll be bottling on Sunday and hope for some quick carbonation, as my last two batches need another month or so and everything else is gone!

Mine turned out great too Ed. I'm gonna use this as the base beer for my hop experiments from here on out.

Question: I do get chill haze. I crash cooled it before bottling and it's crystal clear at room temp. Worry or not?

Thanks,

At first I thought that glass had a Triforce on it, which would have been the only thing that possibly could have made it more awesome. Looks great!

I just finished making my mash tun, and I'd really like to try this beer for my first AG brew :D. Unfortunately, AHS is out of the nottingham yeast, and I can't find it locally. Is there any good alternative for the nottingham, or should I just wait for it to be back in stock?

my LHBS is out of Nottingham as well, so i was told to use another dry yeast that cost $4 a packet! Well for that i figured i might as well spend the extra couple bucks for liquid yeast. I was told WLP001 Cali Ale yeast would work good. Luckily I had a few pints of washed cali yeast in the fridge, so i went with that. Will be popping the first green bottle this evening to see how it's coming along.

Edwort, how long does this beer need to age before you consider it ready?

Mine has been in the keg since the 5th. I'm not sure what it is really supposed to taste like. Is there a commerical pale ale you think is close? Mine doesn't really taste like any pale ales I have ever had. It's not very hoppy and there is an aftertaste that reminds me of labatts blue. I do like it but I'm not sure if it's the way it should be. I did have to use a 1/2 ounce of centennial in place of 1 ounce of cascade.

So I did this recipe as my first AG and hopefully I didn't mess things up too bad. OG was spot on and I didn't seem to have a lot of loss. The only thing that concerns me is the clarity. If I had a camera handy I would snap a photo but the beer is very "milky" or "cloudy" after 3 days in the fermenter. Is this normal?

So I did this recipe as my first AG and hopefully I didn't mess things up too bad. OG was spot on and I didn't seem to have a lot of loss. The only thing that concerns me is the clarity. If I had a camera handy I would snap a photo but the beer is very "milky" or "cloudy" after 3 days in the fermenter. Is this normal?

Time will solve this. RDWHAHB.

As a rule, I try to not tap my kegs 8 weeks from brew day. I've gone 6 weeks, and even 4 weeks, but the longer the better.

I tried a sample last night (actually 3 samples) and I don't think the keg will possibly make it to 8 weeks. It's good enough right now to want to drink it all.

Ed,

I'm out of Notty. What do you think about using SAF-05? My LHBS has it and I'm really wanting to get this beer bubbling in my new apartment. A house isnt a home till you've got some beer bubbling!

thanks for the quick response Ed. I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW would I still want to crash after 10 days with the SAF-05? I dont think it attenuates as fast/high as Notty.

hop substitute
will liberty pellets hops work ok?

Liberty is a Noble aroma hop similar to Hallertau. It's not going to give you the same hop character that Haus Ale has.

Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, or Columbus will provide the closest hop profile if you watch the IBU's

You can put me down for another first time AG brewer that will be using this recipe. I love pale ales and this just looks and sounds like a great brew. I bought a 10-gal cooler this weekend that I will be converting to a MLT and I also got a bunch of supplies (new pot, etc) that I should receive in about a week. I'm planning to do this 2 weekends from now. I am also having trouble finding the Nottingham yeast so will likely use the SAF-05.

One question I do have: I primary ferment in a small wine fridge/chiller that has a range of 54-66 degrees (fermentor fits perfectly). I have been using 66 degrees for my extract ales and it has worked fine so I assume this will be a good temp for this also? I;m in FL and the house is never cooler than 76-77. I have seen the "crash-cool" term here, what exactly does that mean?? Thanks!!

That will be a great temp for you. Crash cool just means to drop the temp to the upper 30s at the end of fermentation. It helps clear the beer and firms up the yeast cake which make racking easier.

Man, this is sooooo freaking good. Finally, a homebrew I can gulp. This stuff is great Ed. I did the mini mash recipe you posted and it is awesome, clearest beer yet.

My beer isn't quite as dark as the one shown from Ed but its a nice American pale ale.

One thing that I may change is the hops bitterness. I'm not a huge fan of really hoppy beers and this one is very citrus'y with the amount of Cascades in the recipe.

I'm not a BMC guy I do like some hop flavor but in a more balanced manner.

I will try cutting the hops in half for the next brew.

HELP - is my beer ruined??? :D

J/K

First, let me say that I'm a fan of this recipe. I've brewed it several times with great results and friends really like it.

I don't know what happened with this last batch, though. It turned out really sweet for some reason and there's absolutely zero head. :( Clearly it's not the recipe's fault. I used S-05 (nottingham not available) and kept it between at 67-68º for 3 weeks. It had an active, but slow and drawn-out fermentation. It finished at 1.013, a little higher than my previous attempts with nottingham, but not necessarily out of range. I skipped the secondary and went straight to the keg. The hops I used were plugs that had been in the freezer for a while, and they may have lost a little bitterness making it tilt toward the malty side of balanced.

Think I should rack this out of the keg and try to do a second fermentation to dry it out a little?

Anyway, I was really looking forward to another great batch of haus pale.

Think I should rack this out of the keg and try to do a second fermentation to dry it out a little?
It's doubtful that it will ferment anymore, but additional conditioning might help. No need to remove it from the keg (unless you need the keg space.) Just take it out of refrigeration and let it set at room temperature for a few weeks. Bobby_M did a post about this a while back where he had good results.

It tastes great!!! I wasn't able to get it as clear as the photos but it's deff a great beer and I will be making this again once I get my new setup rolling. =)

I went and got all the ingredients today. Only thing is they were out of Noddy, so I got Safe ale 04. Hopefully it does the trick! It will be my first all grain also. My brewing partner has done 2 all grain porters on home made stuff. So far beer is coming out good. Man cost me 30 bucks. All I bought was what was on the recipe. That's still cheap as my buddies porters are running him almost 35-40. Looking foward to pale ale. Our first beer we ever made, Jan of this year, was a extract grain pale ale brewers best kit. We still have bottles ready to drink and they are good.

Basement Brewery

Add me to the list of Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale brewers. I brewed up 5 gallons of this yesterday. It was my second AG batch. Everything went very well. I'm still trying to nail down my boil off so I had to top off a bit, but I hit the gravity dead on and had about 75% efficiency. This was also my first batch with my new immersion chiller. Holy cold break Batman! That was quite a sight to see.

Fermenting along nicely this morning. Now I just need to wait and get another batch going so I have a better pipeline. I think BM's OctoberFAST is up next.

I'd like to try this. This will most likely be my next batch. Is this a 10 gallon batch? If it is, can I simply cut in half and get away with it?

Every recipe in the database will state the batch size. This recipe is for 5.5 gallons as all of mine are to account for hydrometer readings, etc. so I finally end up with 5 gallons in the keg.

Every recipe in the database will state the batch size. This recipe is for 5.5 gallons as all of mine are to account for hydrometer readings, etc. so I finally end up with 5 gallons in the keg.

EdWort

Sorry about that, I read the specs in bold but just looked over it.

Latest posts

Back