Wanted: Ghettoblaster Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever have any success cloning this beer?

I would love to hear your recipe, I know that it is lighter in color than any English Mild that I've ever brewed.

Funny this popped up today, I brewed an English Mild yesterday with hopes of it being similar to Ghettoblaster, not my recipe, so we'll see how it turns out.

I still haven't found a recipe for a Ghettoblaster clone, so I'm going to start working on my own. I'll be brewing this as a first attempt this weekend: http://hopville.com/recipe/1678644

It's an Adventures in Homebrewing recipe kit: http://www.homebrewing.org/Corner-Stone-Mild_p_583.html

From the Motor City Brewing Works website we know that Ghettoblaster has an OG of 1.042 and an IBU of 15. This recipe I'm brewing has an OG of 1.047 and an IBU of 17. Plus the color is a little on the darker side for a mild, like Ghettoblaster.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Please post the results as I was going to get the Adventures in Homebrewing kit and try it myself, It was a toss between the Cornerstone and the Yanked..

24ChainsDG said:
Please post the results as I was going to get the Adventures in Homebrewing kit and try it myself, It was a toss between the Cornerstone and the Yanked..

Will do. I thought the Yanked seemed lighter with a lower OG so I went with this.

I drank the first bottle of the cornerstone mild last night. It was pretty good but didn't really taste anything like Ghettoblaster. I think the hop profile is all wrong, and the sweet / malty flavor from the Lyle's golden syrup is not present in Ghettoblaster.

I am going to take a stab at this.. I also go to Adventure in Home Brewing for my supplies and asked for there assistance in the hunt for a clone. The person that was helping me pick out the recipe was a little upset that he could not produce a recipe for a clone and told me that he is now also going to try and create a clone. I figure the more people out there trying is the better chances that it will succeed . Anywho, I will be brewing their "Yanked / English mild" recipe and will post my results. My thought and hope is that Ghetto Blaster is a English mild with 'Merikan hops to the bill. this was also the mindset of the person who is now hunting the clone. We shall see..

That's rad, thanks 24ChainsDG! I wish I could get GB here in Philly or I'd do more to help as well.
On the off chance they'd tell me, I send them an email.

We'll see where that goes.

Well, good news on a different front anyway

"We don't share recipes. However we could be distributed in NYC as early as next week. Philly can't be far off."

Well that's cool though I'm disappointed they didn't share any info on the recipe. I would be satisfied knowing what types of malt and hops they use without proportions or timing.

:mad:
Well, good news on a different front anyway

"We don't share recipes. However we could be distributed in NYC as early as next week. Philly can't be far off."
:mad:

So I was at the LHBS Sunday and was talking about this clone project with the guys at the shop, Told them about the above statement above and it lit a fire in one of the persons there.. Something to the effect of most brewery's get the start in garages trying to make their favorite beers and how some people lose the sight of how they got started.. :mug: I think more people might be trying to clone this now just out general spite...
:rockin:

Transferred this from secondary to keg last night. Was sitting at a FG of 1.010 (O.G. was 1.047) for a week so I thought it was time. I will set some side by side for a comparison this weekend and post results.

Latest posts

Back