oral surgery and beer/smoking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I can seem to get a straight answer. How long do I have to wait til I can smoke and drink beer? Soonest poss time?

I would ask your doc, looking for an answer here is like going to a mechanic to tune your piano.

That being said, I would think it would be ok once all the stitches are out and there are no more open sores. I'd then wait another week. If you are on pain meds, that will likely prolong the beer also.

I smoked as soon as they were done pulling my wisdom teeth. I am pretty sure I drank that night too. That was 15 years ago though. The medical community probably has tighter restrictions now. ;)

I agree with the post about this being the wrong place to ask but here's my two cents: I smoked within a couple days. But immediately after, every time, I swished (is this the word I'm looking for? :drunk:) with hydrogen peroxide. I have no idea if this is foolproof but it worked great for me when some of my buddies who did not do it got dry sockets and other problems.

If you had your wisdom teeth out I'd think you wouldn't want to do either until they are completely healed. Smoking with be the same as using a straw and beer would be a carbonated beverage. I was told to stay away from both when I had my wisdom teeth pulled or else I had a good possibility of an empty socket.

Smoking im not sure, but I know even when sneezing a week later the pressure in my mouth definitely irritated my gums.
Drinking however...I was at the bar 4 days later. The whole antibiotic/alcohol thing comes into play, as well as alcohol drying out your gums/possibly affecting stitches
I'm an idiot but I got away clean. Hey, Dead Guy was on tap down the street, what was I gonna do? SAY NO?!

Cheers

I had my wisdom teeth out in March. Doc said no smoking for at least 2 weeks (I don't smoke anyway, except the occasional cigar) The sucking action could cause the blood clot to come out then you get dry socket. Bad news.

Other than the pain pill/alcohol interaction, he said nothing about drinking.

Ask your Doc.

Back