Hops Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellinmi88

Reaction score
It's got this up this morning...about $39 in materials from Home Depot.

image-2022269150.jpg

image-2189135520.jpg

image-3336125161.jpg

Looks great! I'm down in Florida so ill probably never try, but parents are un Rhode Island and I sent them some to grow and dry for me. Can't wait for the fall!

Thanks. Here is the materials list in case anyone wants to know.

1 - 6' x 1 5/8" chain link fence post
2 - 10' x 1 3/8" chain link fence pole
1 - 1" PVC cross

I cut the 6' post down to 4' and pounded one end to flatten it out so it would not plug with dirt when driven into the ground

I used a block (several) of 2 x 4 to protect the post as I pounded it with a sledge hammer. I used the 2' section I cut off to start the hole which made things very easy.

Once all 4' were in the ground and flush i strung 20' of 1/4" twine to the PVC cross which I attached to the top of the two sections of 1 3/8" fence pole.

Used metal stakes to secure twine at the ground end.

Done.

image-2645315409.jpg

I bet your neighbors are scratching their heads. I would love to see a repost when the hops are established.

You are not the first person to mention the flag idea....hmmmm.

I will repost once they start climbing.

I've seen a pully added at the top and the lines the hops grow on attached to that so that when its time to harvest, all you have to is lower the lines via the pully, sorta like a flag pole idea

Here are a few photo updates...should I be trimming these back and cutting some of the lower growth off?

image-1128050697.jpg

image-466076636.jpg

image-3077928314.jpg

Here are a few photo updates...should I be trimming these back and cutting some of the lower growth off?

No. They don't have enough to cut anyway. People need to realize that plant surface area = photosynthesis rate. It also will aid in protecting the plant from extremes while it's developing. I'm surprised that they grew so vertical right out of the gate. Looks like they could maybe use some N fertilizer. The grass color is very uniform between the ring around the hops and the rest of the yard suggesting to me that possibly you aren't giving the hop plants what they want. Your photo in the OP kinda shows what I mean. Just observing from a distance. :mug:

Admittedly the grass is getting a regular regiment of fertilizer...the OP was early and the grass hand not been tended too. So any high Nitro fertilizer for the hops will do?

Admittedly the grass is getting a regular regiment of fertilizer...the OP was early and the grass hand not been tended too. So any high Nitro fertilizer for the hops will do?

I use low N organic granular fertilizer (5-3-1) with micros and other stuff like humic acids. I got it at an irrigation store. I also added a little flowering fertilizer (15-30-15 iirc) for some added potassium on the last application. I recently noticed a flush of growth and dark greening a few days after fertilizing, followed by a paling a few days later. So now I'm just going to fertilize weekly. These plants seem to be pretty temperamental to a lot of things including fertility and I'd hate for them to drop their guard when it starts to get really hot.

I use low N organic granular fertilizer (5-3-1) with micros and other stuff like humic acids. I got it at an irrigation store. I also added a little flowering fertilizer (15-30-15 iirc) for some added potassium on the last application. I recently noticed a flush of growth and dark greening a few days after fertilizing, followed by a paling a few days later. So now I'm just going to fertilize weekly. These plants seem to be pretty temperamental to a lot of things including fertility and I'd hate for them to drop their guard when it starts to get really hot.

How are you applying this? Are you diluting in water and spraying or just tossing the granular fertilizer on the soil?

This have taken a turn for the worse. Growth has slowed dramatically and now Japanese Beetles have moved in. Leaves are pale and distressed looking. I am noticing shoots off the main bones however.

image-4227145813.jpg

image-591322541.jpg

image-3934178197.jpg

image-1124147799.jpg

This have taken a turn for the worse. Growth has slowed dramatically and now Japanese Beetles have moved in. Leaves are pale and distressed looking. I am noticing shoots off the main bones however.

I am growing first year hops, too. I am dreading the Japanese beetle invasion. So far, so good here in mid-Michigan. I've only seen one or two stray beetles. I am experiencing pale-ish leaves, too, but they're still climbing the trellis (biggest is about 8' tall) and have not send out and side-arms yet.

Back