Schlafly Extra Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
This is the stout I LOVE.

The only other dark brew I love more, is the 08/08/08 stone.

Good GOD!!!! The lovely toffee flavor, the mouthfeel, etc.

HOLY crap this is good!

I have been searching for this beer since I tasted it in a 2 oz "5 beer" taste at a pub that had a beer list 25 cask or craft beer on tap.

WOW.

1 a month. I shall savor.

I had the last of my 6 pack last night of this, and yes its amazing!!! Its all over the place down here, its there seasonal. I need to brew up a clone, they have pretty good info on there site about there beers.

Good to know! I will check out the site.

I am guessing some use of crystal 100,120 and maybe higher.

YUMMY!

I really want to clone this!

I love how Stone puts the recipe on their site. Schlafly is decidedly vague, but YES, they are my new favorite brewery. The APA is flavorful, the Kolsch is MY FAVORITE EVER kolsch, and this stout is my favorite under $10 sixer.

How are they reading they're OG? I'm fairly new to brewing, but an OG of 18.5 doesn't make sense compared to what I know.

How are they reading they're OG? I'm fairly new to brewing, but an OG of 18.5 doesn't make sense compared to what I know.

Thats PLATO.

And i too love most there beers, love going down to the tap room also.

I've only been to Bottleworks. But I really want to try the Vanilla Cream they've got right now so next weekend me and a buddy are going to go down there, after brewing that is.

I hope I can make it down there for a pint of that, but I don't think thats going to happen before they run out.

"Why do we need to go to St Lois??" asked SWMBO.......

What can I answer? She likes beer, but won't plan a trip around it unless it means going to Munich.

I know there is some sort of arch, but what will SWMBO care about?

Maybe someone else can do better, because I only go downtown to go to the Tap Room or a Sporting event (Rams, Cards, and Blues). What do you all like to do?

Hmm, sports events for sure. There's Six Flags if you're into amusement parks. Anheuser Busch brewer tour is cool. **** ton of museums and such.

Just had my first taste of this beer yesterday. OMFG. Sam Smiths oatmeal was my favorite stout. This has usurped the Old Tadcaster's position in spades. I am too new to brewing to begin to take a stab at cloning this. So if anyone comes up with something even close, PLEASE let me know :D Although sadly my stove top rig may not be able to handle an AG version...

As far as stuff to do around St. Louis, there's of course the city museum (which has lots of cool stuff even for the grownups and kids at heart, particularly if you like exploring caves and such) in which you can have a frosty cold barley pop, along with some live music by fireside most weekend evenings. Lots of museums, of course. Then there's the food. South grand has anything you can think of to eat. Thai, Vietnamese, sushi, Afghani, Ethiopian, Italian (although i would recommend a trip to the hill for that), Greek. Soulard has lots of great bars/entertainment and food. If you like blues music, down on South Broadway there's BB's, and another place I can't remember the name of that's basically across the street. And then there's the Schlafly Bottleworks. In my opinion the holy grail of St Louis. Wish i had more to offer than mostly food and drink, but since getting married and having 3 kids I don't get out a whole hell of a lot anymore and don't really have my finger on the pulse of St. Louis. If you do happen to venture up this way, stay away from the north side though... Me and the boys refer to it as the "free fire zone".

Of course, there's lots of good cycling trails of all kinds too, if you're into that sort of thing. Offroad mountain bike trails in lots of parks and/or public woods. Cool paved trails along the river levees and many other places actually... there are actually connecting paved trails from St Louis city almost to Springfield, IL. I personally have only made it to Edwardsville, IL and back. But that was a few years ago when I had time for such adventures.

Anyone traveling through St. Louis would be silly not to stop by the Tap Room and/or Bottleworks. They are both great places. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by anything they brew.Their Extra Stout is amazing ,but the American IPA and Dry Hopped APA rank the highest for me. Anyone who enjoys their brew should check out their Hop in the City Festival. I've been the last two years and had an amazing time. Well worth the $25 bucks for the ticket.

I noticed the other day No. 15 is no longer listed on their website. I'm a little worried...

:mug: Edmerican

I picked up a back up sixer yesterday since I saw it was the last one left........

What can I say? I panicked! I imagined that schlafly had been savagely bought by Budweiser and they discontinued the extra stout while they tweaked the recipe to make it more "drinkable" AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!

I noticed the other day No. 15 is no longer listed on their website. I'm a little worried...

Your right...........I loved that beer, I wonder if they would give me the recipe since they won't be making it?

And The Extra Stout is just a seasonal release.

<sigh> yup. Extra is a St Patty's day brew. (We need a crying smilie) The 15 news is somewhat disappointing. I don't generally go for the sweeter spiced ales, but #15 is pretty darn good, and SWMBO loves it. She hasn't liked the majority of the beers I've brewed yet (she drinks like a girl :p)... so I pick her up a 6er of 15 on a regular basis. If they decide to take the dry hopped APA off the market though, I may have to set the whole damn world on fire. That's my go to store bought beverage. And if INBEV buys out Schlafly, keep an eye on the skies for the four horsemen. For the apocalypse is surely imminent.

just found out my buddy is spending the weekend in st. louis. he keeps texting me all the beers he's drinkin. thanks, jerk!

smakudwn said:
Your right...........I loved that beer, I wonder if they would give me the recipe since they won't be making it?

And The Extra Stout is just a seasonal release.

Well, their site says all whats in each brew and target OGs, as well as ibus. If they won't flat out give you the recipe you may be able to "steal" it from their slightly cryptic description. Of course if they don't have it on the site that wouldn't do you much good. With a little homebrewing software and a bit of time you could plug in the ingredients, adjust the numbers a bit until targets look good and get a good starting point. Hell, it may turn out better than the original :)

On a side note I'll be working about .25 miles from schlafly come next week... that could be dangerous... GROWLERS OF APA FOR LUNCH WHOOHOOOO!

Well, their site says all whats in each brew and target OGs, as well as ibus. If they won't flat out give you the recipe you may be able to "steal" it from their slightly cryptic description. Of course if they don't have it on the site that wouldn't do you much good. With a little homebrewing software and a bit of time you could plug in the ingredients, adjust the numbers a bit until targets look good and get a good starting point. Hell, it may turn out better than the original :)

On a side note I'll be working about .25 miles from schlafly come next week... that could be dangerous... GROWLERS OF APA FOR LUNCH WHOOHOOOO!

Glad you brought up the APA again............

SCHLAFLY'S EYE POPPING BREWS.....(that I've had, please feel free to add)

EXTRA STOUT : (see THIS THREAD)

APA: Possibly the best dry hopped, aromatic, hop flavored, APA I've ever had.

KOLSCH: I nearly crapped my pants. This Kolsch re-opened my eyes to subtly flavored blondes and pale brews. DELICIOUS doesn't begin to describe it.

cheezydemon3 said:
Glad you brought up the APA again............

SCHLAFLY'S EYE POPPING BREWS.....(that I've had, please feel free to add)

EXTRA STOUT : (see THIS THREAD)

APA: Possibly the best dry hopped, aromatic, hop flavored, APA I've ever had.

KOLSCH: I nearly crapped my pants. This Kolsch re-opened my eyes to subtly flavored blondes and pale brews. DELICIOUS doesn't begin to describe it.

Their APA is definitely my favorite. That beer opened my eyes to a brave new world of hoppy goodness, and is definitely the best I have had. If anyone can point me to a "better" dry hopped apa/ipa let me know, I will give it a shot.

I know I have had the kolsch, but don't remember anything all that remarkable, but I am not generally a huge fan of lighter bodied brews like that anyway. Newcastle is about the most "subtle" beer I really like.

The coffee stout is pretty damn good as well. Not a lawn mower beer by any means, but it definitely has its place.

And while #15 doesn't do it much for me that I have been bitten by the hop bug, a few years back I drank untold gallons of that stuff. When I had my first, it was the most amazing thing I had ever encountered. And that was in the bottle. When I had in on draft in the bottleworks, my socks we found 3 counties over they were knocked off so hard.

Completely agree about the APA. Going to try and make a clone this weekend!

Gald to see Schlafly getting some props!

I really dig my IPA recipe, but if you get Schlafly's down pretty good, let me know! I should have a keg of that at all times. :tank:

I am currently sitting at the Schlafly Bottleworks drinking a Special Release IPA. Speaking of eye popping breww from Schlafly! OMG I wanna do dirty dirty things to this beer. Its amazing. If you haven't
had it yet, buy some. If you can make it to the bottleworks, get some fresh on draft. It will NOT disappoint.

Slainte. :mug:

Back