Brooklyn Bacon Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iddqd

Reaction score
Just read something pretty interesting on a Swedish beer blog. The blogger had dinner with Garrett Oliver, who told him about a planned beer. A rough translation:

We came to talk about what was going on in the future in "Brewers Reserve" series. Especially a beer Garrett was enthusiastic about: It was, if I got it right, a black ale of some sort in which the malt was first smoked over wood, mixed with bacon. It was then brewed and stored in whisky casks with bacon grease under some sort of process really designed to remove grease from water, but reversed. Or something like that. "Either this will be absolutely fantastic. Or ****ing disgusting! "

Anyone else heard anything about this? Sounds like something I'd like to try.

I have not hear anything about that beer but it is tasty. Even more credence to the phrase "bacon makes anything better"

I have thought about somehow getting bacon into a beer for awhile, but could never figure out a way to do it before without getting all of the grease into the beer and killing head retention.

However, reading this post gave me a great idea. I may try to somehow smoke some oak chips with bacon. And then add those oak cubes to the secondary. Just a thought....

I have not hear anything about that beer but it is tasty. Even more credence to the phrase "bacon makes anything better"

I have thought about somehow getting bacon into a beer for awhile, but could never figure out a way to do it before without getting all of the grease into the beer and killing head retention.

However, reading this post gave me a great idea. I may try to somehow smoke some oak chips with bacon. And then add those oak cubes to the secondary. Just a thought....

Hey, good idea, also I wonder, how about smoking some grain with bacon and mashing or steeping it???

Garrett posted on his facebook wall a few weeks back about the bacon ale. I will see if I can did it up when I have some time.

We're busy brewing bacon-infused beer from malt smoked by Allan Benton down at the justly famed Benton's Country Smokehouse in Tennessee. I don't think the brewery has ever smelled quite this nice....mmmmmm.....bacon! - Garret Oliver

We're boiling the bacon-wort, and now the entire building smells like bacon cooking over a campfire. I was doing fine, but now I'm starving - Garret Oliver

I think this beer is inherently ultra-treif! But if bacon beer is wrong, I don't wanna be right. - Garret Oliver

Indeed. the difference is that this malt was actually smoked right next to the bacon. The beer brewed from this malt will be blended with bourbon-barrel-aged beer that has actually been infused with bacon. Remember, if bacon beer becomes criminal, only criminals will have bacon. Just sayin'. - Garret Oliver

The barrel-aged beer is fat-washed. A barley wine is made from the bacon-smoked malt. Then the two are combined. Fat-washed bourbon doesn't really smell like bacon - it smells like vaguely bacony fat. The smoked barley wine will add the smoke fraction, resulting in a well-rounded bacon flavor/aromatic. The meek may inherit the earth, but bacon will snatch it away from them! - Garret Oliver

Back