How Much Gravity Points Will Pumpkin Add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
I'm using one of the free online calculators that one of the members here so graciously pointed me to and I'm formulating my Pumpkin Beer Recipe. After much tweaking I've gotten the gravity to 1.036 but that does not include the pumpkin (doesn't have a spot on the calucator for such things). I'll be using 6 pounds of pumpkin for a 5 gallon batch. Anyone know how much the original gravity will be with the pumpkin?

Canned pumpkin is real pie pumpkin, they put a picture of the pretty orange pumpkin on the can to sell the product. The orange pumpkins "jack-o-lantern pumpkins" have less sugar content than the canned pumpkin you can buy. Real pumpkin pie is made with a cousin to the butternut squash. I argue with my mom every year and she makes a pie with fresh orange pumpkins that is really good, just not as good as the real kind. This being said, the pumpkin is more of a flavor additive than a fermentable. We used orange pumpkins in our winterfest at the brewery and it was noticeable but not upfront, but had to compete with a ton of spices so.... IMHO, I think pumping up your base malt and other malt additions a little and not worrying about the sugar addition of the pumpkin is the way to go. Oh, and you can use whatever kind of pumpkin in the beer, they all taste great in pie (some just better/different than others).

Canned pumpkin is real pie pumpkin, they put a picture of the pretty orange pumpkin on the can to sell the product. The orange pumpkins "jack-o-lantern pumpkins" have less sugar content than the canned pumpkin you can buy. Real pumpkin pie is made with a cousin to the butternut squash. I argue with my mom every year and she makes a pie with fresh orange pumpkins that is really good, just not as good as the real kind. This being said, the pumpkin is more of a flavor additive than a fermentable. We used orange pumpkins in our winterfest at the brewery and it was noticeable but not upfront, but had to compete with a ton of spices so.... IMHO, I think pumping up your base malt and other malt additions a little and not worrying about the sugar addition of the pumpkin is the way to go. Oh, and you can use whatever kind of pumpkin in the beer, they all taste great in pie (some just better/different than others).
Great info! Thanks!!!!!!!

Funny turn of events, I helped my mom can 12 pies-worth of orange pumpkin tonight, lol. One was yellow the other dark tan on the inside. She baked the whole pumpkins for two hours then cut them and blended them into puree. Don't know what temp, but they sure smelled good. I had no idea she was doing it tonight, lol. Just thought it was funny I answered a question and then had to do it, lol.

Funny turn of events, I helped my mom can 12 pies-worth of orange pumpkin tonight, lol. One was yellow the other dark tan on the inside. She baked the whole pumpkins for two hours then cut them and blended them into puree. Don't know what temp, but they sure smelled good. I had no idea she was doing it tonight, lol. Just thought it was funny I answered a question and then had to do it, lol.

Hahahaha! That's sycronisity for you!.

Back