Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eccipoo

Reaction score
I've gathered over the last while that racking to secondary is a matter of opinion. And it may clear your beer

However if I leave my batch in primary after fermentation for a week will it clear in there too? Any advice is appreciated, cheers

I've gathered over the last while that racking to secondary is a matter of opinion. And it may clear your beer

However if I leave my batch in primary after fermentation for a week will it clear in there too? Any advice is appreciated, cheers

Sure will and a week may not be enough. There is no problem leaving your beer in the fermenter for 3 or 4 weeks or even longer. I left a brown ale for 9 weeks and while it didn't look anything different than brown, there was so little yeast sediment in my bottles I could hardly see it yet the beer carbonated like it should.

My beers seem to benefit from 4 weeks in primary. I usually don't secondary unless I am short on keg space.

I observed over time that after a beer hits FG,it took 3-7 days after that to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty.

+1 RM-MN, Im at 2 to 3 week in primary for most of my beers, lighter beers 2 weeks, heaver beers 3 weeks, this seems to be working very well for me, Im now going to start secondarying again cuz I have all 10 kegs full and want to keep brewing/aging my beers, I will be aging in secondary's untill a keg is empty.

What a dilemma to be in lol

Cheers :mug:

Personally I stopped using a secondary for brewing a long time ago...
I find that using a secondary just expands the chances for oxidation and contamination....

I had a American Wheat get infected because of a secondary carboy 4 years ago... that was the last time I used a secondary.

Once you transfer your 2 week old primary beer post fermentation, and then transfer it to a keg. How long can it sit and age in there before adding some carbonation to it? Or should this be done straight away

Once you transfer your 2 week old primary beer post fermentation, and then transfer it to a keg. How long can it sit and age in there before adding some carbonation to it? Or should this be done straight away

I let mine age for months in the keg, only thing I do is purge the full keg with co2 and leave it under pressure, I do this right after transferring the beer to it.

I only start to carb a keg after its been in the kegerator over night, that way the beer is good and cold before introducing the co2.

Cheers :mug:

Personally I stopped using a secondary for brewing a long time ago...
I find that using a secondary just expands the chances for oxidation and contamination....

I had a American Wheat get infected because of a secondary carboy 4 years ago... that was the last time I used a secondary.

What if you're adding things like fruit or something? Still in primary?

What if you're adding things like fruit or something? Still in primary?

There is the exception to the no secondary as when you add fruit you add sugars that will ferment and you actually have a secondary ferment. Other exceptions would be oaking, or the long term aging you might to with a barleywine. However, most ales don't need to be moved and each time you move you risk something happening to degrade the beer.

Back