Brewers Friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Larry from Brewer's Friend. Thanks for the mention! Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

The site supports BeerXML import. There is a free trial that allows up to 5 recipes.

Recipes link to the yeast starter calculator and the advanced water chemistry calculator - with auto filled values from the recipe. I find it easy to get the right amount of yeast on brew day and ensure my mash pH is where I want it.

If you are into record keeping the Brew feature is handy. It does actual ABV, efficiency, attenuation, mash tracking, etc. It can even build a report so you know how much 2-row, or Cascade hops you used over a given time period. I used a lot of Amarillo last year!

The site also includes a shopping list, inventory, water profiles, label generator.... I could rattle on...

Hope you enjoy it, and do let us know if you have any questions. Our mission is to help you brew better beer!

I use brewers friend also and find its a great app. How up to date is the refractometer converter? I compared it with nb's and there was a big difference on the finished calculations.

I use brewers friend also and find its a great app. How up to date is the refractometer converter? I compared it with nb's and there was a big difference on the finished calculations.

Thanks for the kind words!

Our refractometer calculator is based on Sean Terril's equations, which we found to be the most accurate and well researched. Probably, nb is using a more basic equation.

Check this out for more info:
http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

Since this thread is here, I have a question about BF.

Does the final recipe show Pre-boil target volume AND gravity as well as Post-Boil target volume AND gravity on the printed output?

Thanks

Since this thread is here, I have a question about BF.

Does the final recipe show Pre-boil target volume AND gravity as well as Post-Boil target volume AND gravity on the printed output?

Thanks

Of all four fields in question, the only one it does not show on the printout is the pre-boil gravity. That is only available in the editor mode under More... We could look into exposing the pre-boil gravity on the printout. If interested, let me know and I'll add it in our feature request forum for tracking. (We don't want to hijack HBT or this thread with that level of detail.)

This a KEY piece of information and it certainly should be shown. I dare say you never brew without knowing this target??

This week's release of BF will add the pre-boil gravity estimate to the recipe view and print screen, plus the brew session page. This was brought up previously in our feature request forum. We happened to be working on it this release so your timing is perfect. It should go live in the next few days.

In my personal brewing, I live inside BF when I brew, so the printout isn't as critical to me personally. I do think bringing this field out will make the tool easier to use, especially for advanced brewers like yourself.

Please keep the suggestions coming, we are happy to help!

Love brewersfriend! It works great on all platforms.

They also have the only yeast starter calculator that works on iPad and iPhone.

I use it Brewer's Friend for my mash infusion calculations. Seems to do a better job of getting me at the right temp with my equipment than BeerSmith does. And I use it for other stuff along the way. Never steered me wrong! Cheers!

I am a new brewer since last November 2012. I bought a premium membership for both brewers friend and beersmith. Hands down BF
IMO is better. Why? BS is much more difficult to drive and figure out even with the helps and videos. Videos are not done well. BS seems to be more detailed in some areas, but again, a deeper learning curve. I never bought an extract kit and jumped right into biab and used BF, upon reading for hours how to brew, studying grains, hops, beer styles...My first brew was an old ale at 10.2% ABV and malty, fruity, caramel sweet, IBU 18 and all liked it. I like difficult but I don't like constant frustration. Software should be complete and simple these days and constantly updated. IE: All grains listed, hops, brew kettles, equipment.... Working on my 8th brew. So hoorah for BF!! JMO
:mug:

Guys, thanks for the kind words!

Hi Larry, site is great and I use it a lot but you need to work on some of the attenuation levels on your yeasts, some of the Belgian strains attenuate out a hell of a lot more than your site thinks they will and if you didn't know how to adjust for that you would end up with a lot dryer stronger beer than you expect.

Hi,
Glad you like the site!

In terms of yeast attenuation, we use what the manufacturers list. Attenuation comes down to many factors, including wort profile, gravity, mash temp, fermentation temp, yeast pitch rate, etc, etc...

If we list a number other that what the manufacturer provides, no doubt keen brewers will notice this and ask us to change it back...!

What strains are you specifically concerned about? We could do some more research, maybe add a * next to the attenuation field on certain strains so it is clear the attenuation is a wider range.

You can always change the yeast attenuation by checking the 'custom attenuation' box in the yeast section and entering your own value.

There isn't an iPad app. You should be able to download the iPhone app to your iPad without buying it again. However, I just use the website through chrome on my iPad--it is more functional and easy to use on my iPad mini.

If you buy the iPhone app you can also run it on other apple devices that are hooked up to your AppleID, including your iPad.

The website works well on the iPad in Safari.

thanks Larry.. but the question remains.. If I want it on my iPhone and my iPad.. do I have to purchase it twice?

The other thing I don't understand is.. looking at some info I've found.. seems like this is a subscription?? I saw an annual, 2 year and lifetime purchase.

Not sure how this all works. I was under the impression when you bought it from iTunes and it was installed.. that was all that was needed.

Help :)

If your iPad and iPhone are linked to the same Apple ID, then you only need to buy it once. But if your iPhone was your personal iPhone, and your iPad was from work, then that probably means you'd have to buy it separately. Apple controls that part of it, in fact we don't even get records of who buys it, just the sales count.

As for the premium subscription, that is at the cloud (the website). The iPhone/iPad app is stand alone, but if you want to sync to the cloud with the iOS app, a premium subscription is required in the could.

Back