Spent Grain Dog Biscuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb1

Reaction score
Made a batch of NB Cream Ale last night. Had seen some articles that people were making dog biscuits with the grains so I whipped up a batch.

Dogs love em and it made 3 dozen!

2 cups flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon baking powder

Mix with grains (they were pretty dry, cause I squeeze em)

I used some veg spray like Pam on my hands to make any shape you want.

350 degrees on a cookie sheet... depending on thickness (mine are 1/2" thick, by 1"wide and 3"long.
I cooked them around 15 minutes (checked bottom)

Great way to have something to do while you boil for 60 minutes.

Dave

soooooo.... replace the flours with the spent grain? So basically 3 cups of spent grain?

soooooo.... replace the flours with the spent grain? So basically 3 cups of spent grain?

The instruction was to mix grains WITH the recipe, not replace anything....

This is a nice idea. Mine go to our chickens, but more for their amusement than any food value, because they are truly spent. (Try tasting some before and after -sweet before, nothing after.)

Correct! Use the grains. I didn't realize all the other recipes on the site... Wow!

I did cook a little longer today (20 min @ 225) just made them dryer.

You want to make sure they are dry so that they don't mold.

My wife says I should sell them to our neighbors in order to help pay for my homebrewing addiction. Maybe the best idea she has ever had.

I made a batch from my spent grain, today.

I mixed in about 2 quarts of grain with the recipe. It actually worked, although my grains must have been wetter. I had to bake for about 45 minutes.

Millie, our 14 1/2 year old Lasso Apso / ****zu mix, loves them.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back