White film on oatmeal stout after botteling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
So I'm a pretty laid back brewer and I let most things ride but I bottled my oatmeal stout last week and I typically like to taste one after a week so I put one in the fridge, when I did that I noticed a white film on the surface, after looking at the rest of the them all 2 cases have the same film.

This is my first oatmeal stout so I'm not sure if this is normal but I'm thinking not. No matter what I'm gonna let it ride but was just looking for some reassurance is all

The recipe is as follows:
8lb Marris otter
1lb flakes oats
1/2lb crystal 75
12oz chocolate malt
1/2lb roasted barley
Wyeast 1275
Primaried 4 weeks at 70

I know 1 week in the bottle is not long enough for the proper taste but again not sure on the white film. Thanks in advance.

Had that on a heavy ale once. Gave them all a quick shake and it settled out after a few days. I figure it was just from the fermenting priming sugar.

omo

bosco

Bensiff said:

I don't know how to from my phone, I don't know that I could really capture it through the glass.

Bosco, that makes me feel better ill try that tomorrow thanks.

If it's white, I'm guessing it's a candida strain. Harmless, and often occurs in such small quantities that it doesn't affect the flavour. I've had a beer get candida a few times, and I didn't shake or anything, just sucked up the surface layer with a syringe before pouring the beer.

So I tried one and it tastes fine, no off tastes or odors. I guess since it was the first beer that I made that was out of the norm I just panicked a bit. Thanks for the info guys

I had the same thing happen to me on an amber ale I made. I called my local micro-brewery and they said it's a form of contamination from a wild yeast that I some how picked up. He gave it a scientific name but I can't remember it, he went on to say that type of yeast likes to protect itself from the elements by creating a white barrier. He said it wouldn't make me sick because the fermentation process has killed everything that would make me sick. It would however change the flavor and aroma of your beer over time. It did change mine, because the last beer tasted and smelled totally different compared to the first. Not necessarily bad... Just different.

It also show's you getting better at brewing. Because you're trying new things and everybody learns something new from a mistake.

And it also shows that you never throw out a beer unless it tastes like rotten meat or something.

Thanks for the help guys, I was just gonna let it ride anyway but to know its not ruined makes me feel better.

Ok so I bottled 2 more beers and they both have that same film, I did notice that it eventually disappeared out of the stout but I'd like to not have it keep happening. I washed everything I bottle with with a bleach solution and rinsed it really well and use star San to sanitize, I don't really want to replace my auto syphon, tubing and bottle wand but I will if I have to.

Could it be environment? Just realizing as I'm typing this, it's been ever since I started bottling in my basement, I started doing it down there so I could keep everything set up, I found it saves at least 20 mins.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Back