Cry Havoc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvin

Reaction score
Anybody use Cry Havoc yeast from Whitelabs? If so what do you think of it? I was pushed into a vile of it and I hope I made the right choice. Still have a couple days to return it I think.

Mel

I used it on a really robust american ale. It finished it out well, but was a very messy yeast. I had trub on the bottom and after 3 weeks I still had a bunch on the top too. I ended up with a ABV of about 8% and a really tasty brew. I do recommend a good starter though, I did not use one, and I think I could have gotten a drier finish if I had. I used Warrior hops and called it War Dog. My advice is to Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!

I've used it on a APA and was pretty happy with it. I thought the esters it produced when fermented at 72F were pretty subtle in the presence of the hop flavor and aroma. It produced a moderately dry ale and was really enjoyable. I would use this strain again but it was lost in a move and I really hate buying new yeast since in in college and broke. I think you'll enjoy it.

The guy at the shop said it was a lager yeast. Is it a hybrid, lager, or ale yeast. Those guys at the shop.......:(

The guy at the shop said it was a lager yeast. Is it a hybrid, lager, or ale yeast. Those guys at the shop.......:(
From the White Labs website
WhiteLabs said:
WLP862 Cry Havoc
This signature strain, from Charlie Papazian, has the ability to ferment at both ale and lager temperatures allowing the brewer to produce diverse beer styles. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion, were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. Papazian had "Cry Havoc" in his yeast stable since 1983.

When fermented at ale temperatures, the yeast produces fruity esters reminiscent of berries and apples. Hop character comes through well with hop accented beers. Diacetyl production will be very low when proper fermentation techniques are used.

When fermented at lager temperatures, esters are low in high gravity beers and negligible in other beers. Pleasant baked bread-like yeast aroma is often perceived in malt accented lagers. Slightly extended fermentation times may be experienced compared to other lagers. Some fermentation circumstances may produce sulfur aroma compounds, but these will usually dissipate with time. Good yeast for bottle conditioning.

For Ales:

Attenuation: 66-70

Flocculation: M-L

Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-74°F

Optimum Cellaring Temperature: 50-55°F

+ Alt beers can be cellared at lagering temperatures

For Lagers:

Attenuation: 66-70

Flocculation: L

Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 55-58°F

Optimum Lagering Temperature: 32-37°F

I have no way of backing this up but I think it originated fron budwieser

Not sure if this info will help but I bought a few vials and gave it a run on both an ale and a lager:

It did fine on the american ale as far as attenuation, but I hopped the piss out of it so I can't say much for the ester's. It was pretty aggressive and finished quickly.

I was not impressed with it in the lager at all. It seemed to take much longer than my go-to lager yeast (wlp820) to finish and the flavor was no where near as clean.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back