Anyone with psoriasis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't considered off topic. I have psoriasis around my mouth, nose, cheeks and top of my head. I haven't been to the doctor about it because until about a year ago it wasn't a big concern for me. Now it has spread to the point that a goatee doesn't hide the majority of it.

In terms diet I have noticed a strong correlation between beer consumption and a strong flare up. For non-beer wheat products, I can't see the relationship as clearly. I am not a fan of breads and pastas so I don't eat a lot of wheat products and most of what I eat is minimally processed so I doubt I get much hidden gluten in my diet. Yesterday I had a 7 oz bottle of RIS and my face is painful today. I also had a small oat cookie my wife had made. Todays condition seems a bit extreme considering it wasn't much beer or wheat product.

Next week I have a doctors appointment and am requesting a gluten sensitivity test. I really don't care as much about eliminating the symptoms as I do eliminating the root cause. Most creams and washes I have tried didn't work anyways. I was curious if there are any others with psoriasis and their experiances with it.

I've recently narrowed down the cause of my eczema to wheat. It only took about 5 days after eliminating rye/wheat/barley before my symptoms started to improve, but complete healing is taking much longer. I've reintroduced mead, then barley beers and they don't bothered me, but I haven't tried a wheat beer since I started an allergy elimination diet. Talk to your doctor and do what you can to find the root cause. If your doctor can't give a concise answer, I strongly recommend changing diet to find out what specific things do and don't affect you.

I haven't noticed anthing to do with sun exposure and my symptoms but it is something I will pay attention to.

I have psoriasis too (runs in the family) and have noticed that if I have more than a couple of pints of any type of beer then I will have a flare up. As passedpawn mentioned sun exposure really helps. My cousin's dermatologist actually recommended sun bathing which is almost unheard of.

One of my friend have very bad eczema..she did lots of different treatment but no use.Now she is taking herbal treatment to cure eczema.

One time shortly after I was sick and took anti-biotics I broke out real bad all over. The doctor diagnosed Gutate Psoriasis and I got a cream to apply where needed. It REALLY helped clear it up!

Since then I have a tendency to have a slightly redder complexion sometimes, and after a shower some parts of my skin blush a bit. The bad stuff is pretty much gone, but there were some residual effects.

I still apply a small amount of this cream to my face if I notice it's starting to look worse again, but that is rare and I apply maybe once or twice and it clears up for a while.

My daughter also has excema and she applies the same cream as needed to the insides of her elbows and such and it clears up usually in 1 day and 1 application.

I suggest going to the doctor and seeing what he thinks. There are a few different types of psoriasis and medicine can help along with other things. Sunlight is supposed to be a big help, but in my case it is mild enough that sunlight doesn't seem to change it very much. And the doctor said he didn't recommend me going to the tanner to help with my condition. YMMV.

Sunlight is supposed to be a big help, but in my case it is mild enough that sunlight doesn't seem to change it very much. And the doctor said he didn't recommend me going to the tanner to help with my condition. YMMV.

Many dermatologists have UV light booths. Some of them also have devices to do "targeted" phototherapy. These involve some sort of light source (gas lamp, laser, LEDs) that focus the light energy in a small area, resulting in much quicker results.

UVA (i.e., 350nm) was popular for quite a while, with psorlen cream available as an intensifier. Most advanced derms use UVB sources without the cream. UVB (308nm) targeted phototherapy is very effective. Excimer laser is by far the most common form of this UVB targeted phototherapy.

I've seen UVB targeted light take the plaque-forming psoriasis off a patient's knees in 3 short sessions of this therapy. I've also seen hair growing back on the alopecia areata patients. And sometimes it has no effect.

I have 3 or 4 spots on my head and in and behind my ears. Years ago, my dr gave me an ointment (that I refill as needed, not the same old original one) that I apply when I get a flare up and it goes away in a day or two. I have not noticed mine changing with drinking or eating. Mine changes with hair growth. I keep my head almost shaved, but when I let me hair grow an extra week or two, the spots get really bad. So I shave my head, apply some ointment and where a hat for a day or two. Then all is usually back to normal. I suggest seeing the doc and getting a topical cream of some sort.

Latest posts

Back