Critique My Recipe Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don223

Reaction score
What do you think about this partial mash recipe?

4lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
1lbs CaraPils
0.75lbs Corn Sugar
1lbs Light DME
0.6oz Hallertauer 60min
1.25oz Hallertauer 5min
US-05 Yeast

Primary for 3 weeks and keg it.
1.040 and 9 IBU's

Do you think my MGD drinking father will like this?

I dont see the point in the pound of DME. might as well add two more pounds of 2-row instead.

I'd suggest going with something other than regular US 2-row though. Toss in Vienna malt instead, and ease him into flavor country.

I agree on dropping the carapils.

I'm not sure how Vienna malt tastes yet but this last batch that grain bill sure did smell great!

If you are really going for MGD then switch out the cara-pils for flaked corn and bump the 2-row to 5.5lbs. Axe the DME and cornsugar. Oh, yeah and don't forget to cold filter it ;)

OK, so I made the recipe I posted above with the following change:

-Replaced the 1lb Carapils with 2lbs flaked maize.
-Used 1 cup of corn sugar (don't have a scale to measure 0.75lbs)

Everything else was the same.

Came out exactly the way I was shooting for. Crystal clear, good head, very crisp, clean and refreshing.

I challenged myself to make a light beer that my Miller drinking father would like and I succeeded.

We sat on the patio basking in the sun all afternoon shooting the $hit and drinking my homebrew.

I'll make this one again!

Awesome to hear this came out as planned! Now make the next one just a bit more flavorful and coax him into craft brew taste!

Back