What are you brewing/drinking on the 4th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deharris

Reaction score
America's birthday is coming up, and what better way to celebrate than by brewing/drinking beer. So:

- Who'll be brewing on the 4th, and what are you making?
- Is your style/beer name especially patriotic?

Sadly, No 4th brew day for me. Guess I will just have to be content smoking a brisket, a few chickens, some sausage and drinking previously produced home brew. I know, I know, try not to shed a tear for me.

I think the bigger question is, what won't I be drinking? Last 4th, I ended up dancing in the street over top of fountain fireworks, then stumbling home yelling ʇıɥs at random people...or so SWMBO tells me.

Let's see...here's my checklist:

• Vinho Verde (LOTS!)
  • Fresh-squeezed margaritas
  • Hefe
  • Bourbon, rocks
  • Some bottle of awesome red wine
  • German Lager
  • Scotch (maybe, depends on what's being poured)
  • By this point, I won't remember anyway...so...bloody mary?

:p

the american pale ale should be ready by then, but prolly suck down a bunch of bmc with the family...:tank:

might make something with the irish ale yeast cake, but not sure yet.

My Bumble Bee Blonde Ale....but then I was corrected, and it should be called Camero Blonde Ale....

Probably drinking commercial, to avoid drinking all my HB while it's still green. Have to see what looks good at the bottle shop.

If I brew, it'll either be a decocted hefe, or a mini-batch of Cheese's CCA. Probably the CCA, since I don't think my primaries will be free by Wed...

Brewing: nothing. No more brewing until we move. Too messy, and I need to be able to leave on a moment's notice.

Brewing related: bottling my weizen, racking my wine, racking my mead (and maybe adding lactose or honey to sweeten it).

Otherwise: cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

homebrewer_99 said:
Drinking Hefe Weizen for sure...:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: ;)

Here here!

I brewed a Hefe just for the 4th.

I also have my Sour wheat with sour cherry ready, plus a huge list of other HB to pick from. Nobody will be bored that's for sure!

I made the hotdogs on Saturday, stayed up till 1 AM (seems like it is always the case with them) getting the internal temp to 160...takes forever in a 170 oven, but you have to do it that way...also homemade kraut, chili, mustard. I am going to make some onion pickle up too. Serving it up with potato salad and some other stuff (tbd). Plus imma grab 2 bags of littlenecks to steam. It is shaping up. The following day it'll be ribs and corn prolly.

Drinking: what ever is put in front of me plus trying to finish a high octane english bitter (need the keg) my vageen lager, and 10 gallons of APA that are ready to drink.

Not brewing on the 4th but will be tonight if the stars all align, a kolsch for a local comp.

I have a five liter keg of a nice pilsner (at least all of the batch that was bottled was great) chilled down along with some english bitter (bottled) that really needs another month to hit its prime but is darn good now. No brewing is planned, my Corona clone is still lagering and the sanyo only holds one carboy. Next up though is an apple-wheat.

Want to be both drinking and brewing, but the wife is about to explode with kid #4. Probably have an hb or two and watch the hills around me for signs of fire.

(Hmmmmmmmmmmm, brewing a red or brown would be nice though.......)

i'm supposed to be making a rye stout, but i hurt my back at werk, so...it will only happen if i can get one of my friends to help me with my first partial mash. free bbq and homebrew might do the trick.

well i'll be drinking a black ale, ed's apfelvein, and a fresh keg of sasparilla. i'll be racking a Pomegranate Wheat to secondary. and i'll be brewing an texas kolsh and cheese's caramel cream ale. it'll be a good day...

The only plan if Ma Nature dont interfere is to brew my 1st AG and my 1st original recipe. :mug:

Here's the recipe:

Ketilvinr "Kettle Friend" Brown Porter
Asgard Brewery
(5 Gallons)

Ingredients:

9 lbs. Maris Otter Malt
0.5 lb. dark crystal malt (crushed)
0.5 lb. chocolate malt (crushed)
0.5 lb. Cara-Pils Dextrin Malt
.75 oz. Cluster hop pellets (8% alpha acid) for 60 min.
0.25 oz. Target hop pellets (10% alpha acid) for 30 min.
0.5 oz. Hallertauer hop pellets (3 % alpha acid), for 2 min.
1/2 tsp. Irish moss
1 packet Wyeast 1028 London ale yeast
¾ cup corn sugar for priming

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.016

As for drinking, I got a nice selection of micro's that I've never had before.

Right now I'm sampling my 1st Woodchuck Cider, but it's going down way too easy.

Have a safe and happy 4th everyone. :rockin: :tank:

I'll be doing yardwork on the 4th in prep for our annual BBQ on Saturday - with a few home brews sprinkled throughout the day. For the BBQ on Sat I have a case each of my Hefe, Dunkel, and Honey Blonde all ready to present to the crew for thier enthusiastic sampling pleasure - and some MGD & sex in a canoe (Coors Light) for my not so adventurous friends. Add to that 3 gallons of Sangria, an active blender and an iced up bottle of Jager and it almost sounds like a party.
And to soak up all that booze we have 8 racks of ribs and assorted brats and similar grill bits. If you're in Tampa on Saturday.......

I've got a full belgian wheat corny and about a dozen people coming over to help kick it. It's a good thing my friends like homebrew:D

Just brewed 10 gallons of Blvd Wheat and my LiteHaus Summer Spice Ale.

As for drinking, just tapped my variation of EdWorts Haus Ale and another 10 gallons of my Nierra Sevada...a growing legend in my neighborhood.

I'm a little behind on starting it, but I'm gonna get an oktoberfest brewed up along with a scotch ale. Looking to be a hot one outside as its gonna be up near 90.

Just getting ready to mash in, got the cooler full off hot water and letting it stabalize to my strike temp. Doing a Belgium ale. If it doesn't rain too soon.:tank:

Throwin back a SNPA, bout to have a Cherry Vanilla Stout and tending to the brisket all day... no brewing for me. Saving it up for Saturday.

MFer:mad: It's starting to rain and I've got another 25 mins left to boil. Not hard enough that I would walk off the golf course so I'm still brewing(like I have a choice:eek: ) but I hate a wet ass.

Drinking - Strawberry Blond, Nut Brown, Weizenbock 1 & 2, Porter II, a bottle of the first batch we ever did. and some Old Speckled Hen.

Brewing - Bad Ash Imperial Stout

Grilling - Hamburgers, hot dogs, the usual. Oh and Smoked Apple Honey Pork Ribs...

Got the starter going for my mini-batch of CCA, might brew it tonight after the kids hit the sack. Might also bottle the Mulitiple Personality Pale Ale(s) (one mash, 10 different single-hop mini-boils) though that feels like it's gonna be a PITA.

Drinking some Stoudt's Weizen (really good) and some Brooklyn East India (also really good...a rare English-style IPA). Those will probably weaken me enough to get me to dip into my (damn they still need a little more time!) homebrews later tonight.

LOL I am trying DESPERATELY to not float the 777....there are only 3 or 4 pints left

It's raining here in Austin like a Mutha**&#$*&, so it's drinking time. Enjoying my Stone IPA Clone while marinating some chicken wings and 3 turkey wings just for kicks. I'll be popping those on the Big Green Egg shortly for dinner. Desert will be a dutch oven cobbler down at the barn while we stand watch over the horses so they are not spooked by fireworks.

SWMBO and I brewed our Independance Ale on Monday and will probly brew again tomorrow or Friday(weather dependant:Nice out- on the boat trolling for salmon,Rainy/windy-brewing in the garage).
But today,i'm suffering with a slight case of homebrew flu.Maybe some hair of the dog later today.Happy 4th to all:rockin:
Cheers:mug:

MY batch of honey wheat is done and is just perfect to drink in this hot weather. :mug: I think this weekend I am going to brew a Hefeweizen.

I've got 2 Chocolate Stouts in the fridge, 2 Steam Brews, and 2 Old Peculiar Clones that may not be quite ready. I've noticed I've begun to hord my hombrew like an old miser.

I've got a Bass clone Iv'e got to round up enought bottles to bottle this weekend and I've got an Oberon clone in my primary that I have to transfer. Probably brew another Old Speckled Hen clone this weekend.

And if the evening runs too long I've got a decent collection of micro brews in the refrigerator just in case.

Well, the "Kettle Friend" is in the fermenter and every thing's cleaned up.

I could'nt believe my Pap stayed around for the whole thing! He even brought a pork roast he grilled yesterday for sammichs.

Learned 2 very valuable lessons:

1. A brew pot WILL boil over with 20 mins left of a 90 min boil.
2. Don't drop your thermometer in the pot while cooling!

Oh, and the ice water chill method ROCKS!!!!!!!

Back