Report: The Oaken Barrel, Indianapolis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My father and I stopped off at the Oaken Barrel in Indianapolis this weekend for dinner. We were driving back from Kentucky to Chicago, so we couldn't really drink a lot, but we each had the sampler with dinner. Unfortunately, this left there more interesting brews untasted. I hate when brewpubs tell you what you get in a sampler. Anyway, here's my impressions of their beers...

Their Indiana Amber is a nice hoppy amber with slight malt complexity. Nothing really special, but quite drinkable.

Their raspberry wheat(?) was mediocre. Not very fruity at all.

their APA was very hoppy and delicious. Definitely a standout.

Their Porter was quite hoppy. Not quite what I was expecting, but very good nonetheless. It had a very smooth finish and was quite light on the palate.

Their Belgian white was very light in color as well as taste. A fine beer, I'm sure, but nothing to really get excited about.

The food was good too. I'll definitely be visiting again if I ever find myself in the area.

I live across the street from there, I go every once in a great while. I usually go to the RAM or Rock Bottom in Indianapolis. It seems like after doing my own brewing the beer there does not "tickle my fancy!"

Yeah, but I can go to RAM or Rock Bottom in any number of different states. Microbreweries, or any type, are mucho cool. But, if it's up to me, I'd rather patronize ones which are not chains... for the same reason I'd rather go to Pablo's tacos than to McDonald's. Rock Bottom makes some truly amazing beer though. Nevertheless, I was more than satisfied with Oaken Barrel's offerings.

I go to the Formula 1 race up there every year, and we always go to The Oaken Barrel every night we are there. Usually Thurs, Fri, and Sat. nights. In fact we have started staying in a hotel that is very close to the Oaken Barrel so we don't have to worry about driving. I don't mind a bit of a walk if it means no driving.

I really enjoy going there. The atmosphere is great and the people there are cool as well.
I love all of the beers they have, except the wheat beer and that's just because I don't like any wheat beer. My friends love the stuff.

If you ever get around that area I suggest going here.

Back