Late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm brewing a blonde ale (the Bases Loaded Blonde posted in the NB forum) which I will be dry-hopping with Anaheim and Serrano peppers. I'm only doing a PM version (60% grain, 40% pilsen extract). This is my first time doing a PM. I'm trying to decide when to add the extract - to the beginning of the boil or sometime later. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

I just did my first partial mash and I followed Deathbrewers post on p-m. I added my extract all at the beginning.

Depends on whether or not you're doing a full boil. I assume not, because you're partial-mashing; that generally yields less than the full boil volume. So I'd add the extract at flameout, before you start chilling.

Bob

I agree with NQ3X - if you're going for a Blonde Ale, and a partial boil, the less amount of time the extract is in there the better, just to reduce the possibility of kettle scorching, try to keep that color nice and light.

Thanks, all. I'm actually doing a full boil. I propose to mash with about a quart/pound, sparge with about double that volume, add water to the kettle to bring it up to 6 gallons and boil for an hour total. Will this work? Is there a minimum time the extract should boil to kill any nasties? I'm thinking 10-15 minutes.

I would boil the extract for at least 10-15 minutes as you said. Also you'll want to make sure you adjust your hop quantities due to the late extract addition so you'll hit your desired IBUs

I use DB's partial mash method and always add my extract towards the end...maybe the last 10 minutes? Always seems to work out well for me!

Back