Do any of you guys prefer and brew mostly lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
It seems that ales are all the rage these days in America when it comes to brewing handcrafted beer,both commercially and also for the homebrewer, yet most beer drinkers in America and the world (except Britain maybe) drink Lagers almost exclusively. So do any of you homebrewers out there mostly enjoy and brew lagers? I haven't brewed a lager yet but I plan to soon.

I think it's more a case that lagers are more challenging to brew, since temp control is more crucial than it is for ales...And I'm sure most brewers don't have a dedicated fridge or chest freezer to keep the temps as low as is required..I brewed my first lagers this winter in using the pretty unheated storage in my loft building's garage, doing sort of ghetto lagering.

Plus I think lagers do get a bad rap, since BMC's are lagers, and despite the complexity with which they require are pretty bland and tasteless.

But having discovered maibocs, and especially, vienna lagers, I've found that some can be just as complex as many ales...I enjoy them, but I wouldn't say I prefer them over ales....

I prefer ales (never made a lager). I do not see why there could not be as many different styles of lager as ale, but I like hoppy and spicy, malty is ok, but I find most lagers fairly boring.

Lager is the most popular type of beer in the world, I think. I love lager beers, especially when they are crisp, clean and full of flavor. I'm trying as much as I can to get my ales to taste like a lager and they're beginning to come close. I'll make a lager when and if I get better at brewing.

I recently tried my first lager just to see if I could do it but it was enough of a pain that I probably won't do it again. Huge starter, chilling the wort, keeping it cold, and then the time requirement...although the sample at the end of the primary was pretty promising.

I just brewed my 3rd lager (a swartzbier) and really enjoy the results. The biggest downside for me is the time required from brew day to drinking. I've got several carboys and one is being used for a mead right now. When I bottle this, I will probably have more opportunities to brew more lagers. Space is a close second, and a primary reason I have not bought a 5th carboy.

I do both.

I just today brewed my third lager in a row. I hadn't done any lagers since November.

Next month will be a lager and two ales. In June I will be too busy to brew, so I am getting the pipeline filled.

I am still using coolers and frozen 2 liter bottles for temp control. Hopefully, I will get my mini fridge based cooler done this summer.

I'm not a big fan of most lagers that I've had. I don't dislike them, I just don't enjoy them as much as the ales I've had. Of course, as a result I'm not as likely to buy and try lagers, so my exposure to them is much more limited.

Seriously though for all you new brewers/lurkers.. try a good swartzbier or Vienna Lager, or even a maibock, you will be converted to actually liking some lagers...I know I was...I used to hate most lagers (atleast the bohemian pilsmers that BMC is based on) until I tried beers of those three styles, especialy the vienna lager....they are amazing. Some worth Trying are, August Schell's Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lake's Elliot Ness Amber (vienna lager) and Trader Joe's Vienna Lager....

You will be pleasantly surprised.

I currently on a try a different style every brew kick. Get the whole range of HB experience. I started with a stout,ale,pils and just brewed a lager this afternoon. So many recipes so little time.

I picked up the Great Lakes mixed 12 pack last week and I really liked the Elliot Ness. I have never been a big lager fan, more of a British style ale guy. I think I will give something like that a try once I get back brewing (soon hopefully...)

If you can afford temperature control and the time to brew and lager them they are worth the effort. I second the Vienna lager (Negro Modelo is a commercial version) and Maibock. Instead of a malty backbone think "bready" with some melanoidin complexity, a clean taste, balanced with hops and served colder so great in the summer. As it cannot hide any flaws a Czech Pils is probably the pinnacle of the brewers art.

GT

As it cannot hide any flaws a Czech Pils is probably the pinnacle of the brewers art.

GT

I just brewed my first lager, a Czech Pils, a few weeks ago. It's currently lagering for 6-8 weeks. The sample I took after the diacetyl rest and end of fermentation tasted good. Hopefully it turns out well!

I brew lagers and an occasional koelsch about every six or seventh batch and sometimes more often. The limiting factor is refrigeration. I have both a small freezer and a small refrigerator dedicated to lagering. Would brew more lagers if I had more refrigeration capacity. A cold room would sure be a nice addition.

I don't necessarily like ales better than lagers or the other way around, either one can be great if done right. I do however think lagers are a bit more tricky to get right. Lagers wouldn't really be the best for most brewers to start with, but I think anyone who loves the hobby and sticks with it should try making lagers. I personally love the challenge and patience it takes to make a good lager, there is a certain sense of accomplishment when you tap that keg.

Since I'm a hophead, I prefer IPAs and they are my favorite style, so I make either IPAs or APAs about every second beer. The other styles I mix up. Right now I have a Maibock on tap (lager), a nut brown and an APA. I'm kegging a hoppy amber ale today, and dryhopping a rye IPA. I'm brewing an Irish red today. So, lagers go into the rotation, too. I make lagers more often than I make nut brown ales, but only about three a year.

I like all beer (except fruit beers, or wheat beer) so I make what I like!

I brew both 50/50. The lagers I brew have thus far been of the German styles. Homebrewing is very rewarding regardless of beer category, but there is something about tasting the result of a 10+ week effort. I inadvertently put more effort into lagers than I do ales. I use the malt analysis to calculate mash step temperatures. I'm exacting with temperature control. I pitch much more yeast. With ales, yeast pitch rates, temperature control, etc. are usually "good enough". With lagers, the techniques are more refined. This is what can make drinking your homebrewed lagers so rewarding.

I can have the patience to wait the time required for lagers, but the one thing that has always bothered me was making the starters. They're usually 1 gallon (2 for a 10-gallon batch), require multiple steps-up, and need to be made up to 2 weeks in advance. As for using dry lager yeast, I've heard very mixed results and have always shyed away from it. But when I found out that Fermentis' newly released strain (Saflager W34/70) was supposed to be the same strain as WLP830 (my usual lager yeast), I was hopeful the giant lager starter days were over. I used it a few weeks ago and post-primary samples indicate that this is as good as WLP830. So it looks like lager starters are one less thing for me to be worried about.

I have been getting consistently good results with S-23. I use two packs mixed with a quart of cooled wort, then add that to the BB when racking.

Seems to work, the amber I brewed yesterday is thumping away at 54*F (optimal temp for S-23).

:mug:

IPA, British ales and stouts for me. BUT... when I make a good pilsner or other lager, the kegs get completely drained in record time by friends and family.

I need a friggen' keezer so I can keep more than 2 beers on tap at any time.

I buy lager varieties at the store from time-to-time just to try and see if I might like to go through the trouble of brewing one. So far I like some of them, but not as much as my ales, so I'll stick with those. Ales are easier to brew and better beer to my taste.

I brewed two lagers over the winter. If I ever get all the pesky food out of the chest freezer I would probably to 1/3 lagers. Actually I'd go on a lager binge, I think six would fit in there.

I currently on a try a different style every brew kick. Get the whole range of HB experience. I started with a stout,ale,pils and just brewed a lager this afternoon. So many recipes so little time.

same here, i'm using the "can of syrup + pack of yeast" style kits while i scope around for something that takes my fancy. did an edme dry irish stout first, then a young's 'bitter' (no idea what specific style). next up is a young's cider i started yesterday

Back