Dude's "Lake Walk" Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
He brought his latest over the the house the other day, and it rocks!

Great hop flavor/aroma and very clean. It's light bodied and doesn't have much malt sweetness, setting it apart from other pale ales. I think it's a good "summer" beer for us hopheads. Something along the lines of Anchor Liberty with less aftertaste.

Can't wait to try the AG version. :D

Sam75 said:
He brought his latest over the the house the other day, and it rocks!

Great hop flavor/aroma and very clean. It's light bodied and doesn't have much malt sweetness, setting it apart from other pale ales. I think it's a good "summer" beer for us hopheads. Something along the lines of Anchor Liberty with less aftertaste.

Can't wait to try the AG version. :D

Thanks very much!
Its funny you say that--I was shooting for a cross between a SNPA and a Liberty Ale. Now that I've gotten some pints off that keg--its clearing up nicely. The first few were cloudy but it looks nice now.
I'm now a HUGE fan of the WLP001 (White Labs) yeast.
After I do the next batch of the belgian one I'm experimenting with, I'm gonna do the first AG batch of Lake Walk. I don't think I'm going to change much with the recipe.
I appreciate the good words.
I'm drinking one now. 8:00 in the morning! LOL....

Okay, ORRELSE - Now you've GOT to please post the recipe on the recipe area! I'm planning to get some of that WLP001 and try it out. I just haven't decided on a recipe. This one sounds good!

Rhoobarb said:
Okay, ORRELSE - Now you've GOT to please post the recipe on the recipe area! I'm planning to get some of that WLP001 and try it out. I just haven't decided on a recipe. This one sounds good!

Here ya go....

I think there are 3 critical keys to this recipe:

1. The TOASTED 2 row. Toast regular 2-row grain in a 175 deg. oven for 15-30 mins. Then toast it at 275 deg. for an additional 30 mins. I left the oven door open during this process. It will make your house smell like heaven.
2. Fermentation temp. Keep it at 68-70 if possible. this will prevent the "fruity" effects of the yeast. I think this turned out really clean.
3. Use DME vs. LME.

Also, with age, the hops will mellow. This has a strong bite at first but I can tell after a few weeks it is already mellowing.

Lake Walk Pale Ale-Extract version

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.25
Anticipated OG: 1.062 Plato: 15.17
Anticipated SRM: 8.6
Anticipated IBU: 40.0
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
41.4 3.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
41.4 3.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
10.3 0.75 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20 (Steep)
6.9 0.50 lbs. Toasted Pale Malt (2-row) America 1.036 2 (Steep)

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Perle Whole 4.55 19.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 6.75 14.6 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 6.75 3.8 15 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 6.75 2.4 5 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 6.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Thanks! Looks easy enough and most all of the ingredients, I already have on hand. I think I'll try this weekend after next!

Okay, I did the AG version of this recipe myself awhile back. It was only my second AG and, man, did it turn out great! I used White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast because I had it on hand. It probably makes my version a bit less sweet than if I had used the WLP001. Still, this stuff kicks butt! I will definitely brew it again soon.

My new girlfriend is normally a Bud drinker. I gave her one of these last weekend. Her first reaction was "Wow, this has some kick to it!" But after finishing the first one, she didn't want to switch to anything else and she stuck with it all afternoon!

Rhoobarb said:
Okay, I did the AG version of this recipe myself awhile back. It was only my second AG and, man, did it turn out great! I used White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast because I had it on hand. It probably makes my version a bit less sweet than if I had used the WLP001. Still, this stuff kicks butt! I will definitely brew it again soon.

My current girlfriend is a Bud drinker. I gave her one of these last weekend. Her first reaction was "Wow, this has some kick to it!" But after finishing the first one, she didn't want to switch to anything else and she stuck with it all afternoon!

Cool. Another one converted to homebrew!
So did you end up doing the bittering hops with Perle or NB? Did oyu toast grains? To me, the toasted grains are the key in that recipe. I can really taste a difference.

ORRELSE said:
Cool. Another one converted to homebrew!
So did you end up doing the bittering hops with Perle or NB? Did oyu toast grains? To me, the toasted grains are the key in that recipe. I can really taste a difference.

Oh, yeah - forgot to mention that I went with Perle hops. And yes, I toasted the grains! Did you ever make it without toasting? Was just wondering how it affected the taste. As for me, I won't mess with success! I'll toast them when I make this again. It's so easy to do.

I smoked about two pounds of Maris Otter 2-row on my smoker last weekend for use in my Scotch Ale and that was easy, too! It just didn't make my kitchen smell nice like the toasting did! :D

Rhoobarb said:
Oh, yeah - forgot to mention that I went with Perle hops. And yes, I toasted the grains! Did you ever make it without toasting? Was just wondering how it affected the taste. As for me, I won't mess with success! I'll toast them when I make this again. It's so easy to do.

So Rhoobarb....can you post the recipe you went with? I'm going to do this batch Friday. I'd be interested to see the changes you made. I'm all about improving this sucker. :cross:

Rhoobarb said:
Yes, I'll post it tonight when I get home.

I'm brewing it again today.
One thing I got burned on was the dang color. Promash really takes "toasted 2-row" for a little bit darker than it actually is. I was going to compensate for that by doing crystal 60L this time (instead of 40), and my HBS didn't have any. So I used 40L again. I also took the Munich out of it. I think that "muddied it up" a bit in the last batch. I want it to have a crisp taste this time.

I looked it over a couple of nights ago and it turned out that the only thing I did was change the hops to Perle. It turns out I did use WLP001. So, everything else stayed the same.

(added at 6:57pm CST) Here it is, with my actual gravities and fementation times. The SRM is the ProMash estimate; I actually believe it is closer to 8:

Lake Walk Pale Ale
Recipe Ó 2005 by Brandon (ORRELSE)

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.006
IBU = 37.3%
SRM = 5.9
ABV = 6.1%

Grains:
9 lbs. Rahr American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)
2 lbs. toasted Rahr American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)
12 oz. U.S. crystal malt, 2-row (10-L)
4 oz. U.S. crystal malt, 2-row (40-L)
4 oz. German Munich malt (5.5-L)
4 oz. Mich. Weyermann German wheat malt (1.9-L)
Bittering hops:
1 oz. Perle [6.4% AAU] (60 mins.)
.5 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU] (30 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
.5 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU] (15 mins.)

Finishing hops:
1 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU] (0 mins.)

Dry hops:
1 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU]

Fining agent:
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins.)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast (from starter)

Primary: 5 days at 70o F

Secondary: 24 days at 70o F

Total boil: 90 minutes

Toast 2 lbs. of the 2-row grain in a 175o F oven for 25 minutes, then toast for an additional 30 minutes at 275o F. Leave the oven door slightly ajar during this process. Heat 3.6 galllons of water to ~170o F. Mash grains at ~154o F for 75 minutes. Recirculate until clear, ~20-30 minutes.
Sparge with ~7 gallons of 173o F water (mash out at 160o F for 10 minutes). Add hops and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to 72o - 75o F and pitch yeast. Add dry hops at secondary. Bottle when beer falls clear. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain light DME.

Thanks for posting that. Like I said, in yesterday's batch I took out the Munich, only used 1 lb of crystal 40. The crystal 10 was taken out completely--I only added that the last time cause I didn't have enough c40L on hand. :)

I used Perle for bittering (used NB on the 2nd batch and wasn't impressed), upped all the hop additions to 1 oz. I'm calculating all of my recipes for 6 gallons now, so to get in the range of 45 IBUs I got it closer.
Plus I used the dry yeast this time too. Ever tweaking, ever tweaking....

Then I'll probably drop the Munich and 10-L, too. Less grains to have to buy! I usually have plenty of 30-L or 40-L on hand.

I like the 'uppage' of the IBU's too. I think you'll really like the Perle's in this. Perle's and Nugget's are becoming two of my favorites. :D I'll probably stick with the WLP001 because it's easy to get; but I'm curious about that yeast you're using.

Latest posts

Back