Kettle wiring hookup problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
So I finally get to installing my power cord on my kettle, just like Kal's method. Well I ordered the same cord grips from mcmaster but they don't fit the boxes I got from lowes. But, even if the grips did fit, my power cord is too fat to fit through the cord grip. What should I do? I bought my cords from eBay, the ones with 9' of 10/3 with the locking plug attached that were talked about a while ago. I'm at a loss here so I walked away from it before I smashed it.

Help!!!

I guess I could buy a 3/4 npt tap and drill bit.... That would fix my box, but would I be able to drill out the grip at all?

Edit: I just realized that if I drill out my boxes there won't be any material left for the tap to make threads. Looks like I have to buy and build all new boxes.... FML

I seem to recall ordering the wrong cord-grip and having to upsize later. I just bought the larger one and used my step-bit to rectify the panel-hole.

I know I ordered the right size, I just double checked. I checked the packaging as well. Anyone have a 3/4 npt tap and a 29/32 drill to lend? Those are pricey!

Hi there. "Wrong" doesn't mean that you didn't order the part Kal spec'd . . . it just means that the cord grip you have doesn't fit or won't work with your specific application.

Easiest solution would be ordering a new cord grip from McMaster-Carr: what size NPT ports do you have on your box from Lowes? what's the outside diameter of your cord?

With that info in hand, you should be able to find one that works: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cord-grips/=kylubj

If you're not wed to having an aluminum grip, take a look at the "Nylon Liquid-Tight Cord Grip" models: same or better certs, nearly as good temp rating, water-tight, and half the cost.

--Matt

Problem is my cables are too fat to fit the grip. Now if I strip the outer insulation and then electrical tape the wires they will fit just fine, so the cord grips I have will work just fine. The other problem were the boxes I purchased were 1/2" npt fittings, not 3/4" like the grips I ordered. I bought two new boxes and two new plates from lowes last night in the correct size and drilled new holes and jb welded them up. So I solved my problem and only had to spend about 20 bucks extra. Live and learn.

Back